Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Capaldi Racing

Rookie

Default DPFE Sensor or EGR Valve problem?

My Ford Focus '01 has been doing the classic hesitation and stumbling motion when it is going along at a constant speed. It's very noticeable at 45mph. I have an automatic transmission. I took it into the shop and they ran a diagnostic and it came up as insufficient EGR flow. I had read FocusHacks.com and I was trying to explain to them that this is a problem on the Focus and they said that everything was ok and turned off the CEL. Within hours the CEL came back on when it was doing the hesitation and stumbling at 45mph. So can I assume it's a problem with the DPFE sensor and that should be replaced or should the EGR valve be replaced?

Default Re: DPFE Sensor or EGR Valve problem?

My money is on the DPFE sensor! it's cheaper, easier to replace, and 99.9% of the time, thats the problem!
    '98 zx2
    '02 focus svt

Rookie

I replaced the DPFE sensor (surprisingly easy to do and the Ford Dealership wanted $200 in labor to install it, ha!) and sure enough it works like new again. Thanks for the help.

I need to do the same. Where did you get your replacement dpfe and what did you pay?

Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off. ax0n's Avatar

The Parts counter at most any Ford Dealership will be able to get you one, I think they're between 20-50 bucks (it varies).

If you want a good deal and would rather just order it over the phone, call Steve at Tousley Ford: 1-800-328-9552. Tell him you heard about him from Focaljet and he'll hook you up with 10% over cost (in other words, he barely marks up the price of what he sells)

I have the same problem here...My car's engine light was on for two days and I went to check out the code today. The code was PO402, is anyone have any problem like this? Please give me some suggestions, thank you.

PO402 Excessive EGR Flow
    Possible causes:
    1. Defective EGR value
    2. EGR pressure sewor/temperture sewsor defective
    3. EGR system passages blocked with carbon
    4. EGR solewoid defective

Rookie

thats weird as i just posted an hr ago about the same exact problem with my 01 ZX3 with a auto tranny. mines doing the same stumbling at 40/45 mph and is harder on gas now.I got the same insuficiant egr flow message as well. Ill be getting a dpfe sensor for sure!! where is it located and how hard is it to get to to change?

It's very easy to change.

This link might help you
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 60,000 km and 36,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH