Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Top Speed Performance

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Coolant leak from thermostat housing

I've read all the info I can on the thermostat housing leaking. I've come to the pretty easy conclusion that it's either the thermostat housing being cracked, or the O-Rings inside the thermostat housing being old and brittle that's causing the leak.

Which problem is more common? Is it worth it to just buy a new housing and a box of #203 O rings and replace them both?

Also, where did you buy your housing from? I've always used rockauto.com, and they've got it for $14 but if you recommend elsewhere, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks in advance.
    Kevin

Default Re: Coolant leak from thermostat housing

A lot of people have bought the housing and parts from Premier Sponsor, Tousley Ford. You can't go wrong with 10% over cost
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 519,000 km and 324,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 47,000 km and 29,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

Would you recommend that I purchase the O rings and housing and just get them both over with now, or is it more than likely one or the other causing the problem?

Senior TEAM Member

The housing generally cracks in the portion that surrounds the O-ring. So the O-ring is no longer bound in a circle. The housing cracks before the O-ring goes bad. But put in all new when replacing , T-stat, housing, O-ring.
    '02 Liquid Gray ZX3
    Ported Focus Central Head, Comp Stage III Cams, CFM Cam Gears. Ported Contour Intake Manifold, Aluminum Contour Throttle Body, Custom Short Ram Intake, Underdrive Pulley, 4-1 Header, 2 1/2" flexback exhaust, Sniper Commando Tuned, A/C delete, B&M Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Springs on KYB AGX's, SVT Cluster, American Racing Outlaw II's

What # is that O-Ring? I thought it was a #203 but now I can't find anything to back that up..

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcackler
    What # is that O-Ring? I thought it was a #203 but now I can't find anything to back that up..

Knowing the number really means nothing, just get everything from the dealer. They will get you the right part.
    '02 Liquid Gray ZX3
    Ported Focus Central Head, Comp Stage III Cams, CFM Cam Gears. Ported Contour Intake Manifold, Aluminum Contour Throttle Body, Custom Short Ram Intake, Underdrive Pulley, 4-1 Header, 2 1/2" flexback exhaust, Sniper Commando Tuned, A/C delete, B&M Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Springs on KYB AGX's, SVT Cluster, American Racing Outlaw II's

what you need it the housing, a new o ring for the th thermostat andsince you will be in there might as well replace the thermostat as well that way it is done.

that is what I did.

TEAM Member

Typical spotty Ford quality. I love to drive my 2001 Focus ZX3 S2 and it has been troublefree so far, but with 85,000 miles on it I'm starting to get worried about stuff like this happening that shouldn't happen.

I've had a slight valve cover leak for some time now. Didn't think much of it. Then the other day the thermostat housing started leaking. This is what my leak looks like:

Very strange place for a leak, you're looking at the lower middle bolt. So I didn't think I'd be the only one with such a problem. Thanks for the tip about what causes the problem.

Needless to say that when I replace the thermostat housing and O-ring I'll be replacing the valve cover gasket at the same time.....

TEAM Member

I just got bit w/the thermostat housing being cracked as well as the valve cover leak. I guess when it rains it pours.
    Focus Sport Short Ram Intake,Focus Sport Strut Tower Bar, Blue Laminex Headlight and Foglight kit,Fog light Hack ***JCM RACING #52***

TEAM Member

Here's a picture of my cracked housing.

Looks to me like it could be a manufacturing defect/poor design, wonder if there will be a recall?

My housing was cracked and they just replace the whole thing at the dealership. Now there are no more ugly puddles under my car!

Quote Originally Posted by GTIspirit
    Typical spotty Ford quality. I love to drive my 2001 Focus ZX3 S2 and it has been troublefree so far, but with 85,000 miles on it I'm starting to get worried about stuff like this happening that shouldn't happen.

I've had a slight valve cover leak for some time now. Didn't think much of it. Then the other day the thermostat housing started leaking. This is what my leak looks like:

Very strange place for a leak, you're looking at the lower middle bolt. So I didn't think I'd be the only one with such a problem. Thanks for the tip about what causes the problem.

Needless to say that when I replace the thermostat housing and O-ring I'll be replacing the valve cover gasket at the same time.....
    The photo is great. Mine has a puddle in the same spot, but it looks to be well behind the thermostat housing. Could you verify that it's the thermostat housing that's leaking? Thanks.

Rookie

yes it is the housing...but most of the time it is caused by the valve cover leaking...causing the thermostat housing to be soaked in oil causing the seal to expand and leak like a sive...I have done probably 20 of these things this past year alone...the focus' were terrible about these things

TEAM Member

mstang got it right. Working on these for all these years now this is exactly what we see. The Valve cover usually starts leaking and the oil leaks down onto the T-stat housing and it starts leaking.

MaDawg

You can expect to replace them every few years or so. I replaced mine on my ZX5 when it dumped the entire contents of the cooling system one night at 103,000 miles or so. This is on a car with no valve cover leak.

HTP has the only alternative I have seen, a milled aluminum thermostat housing. I have one on order from them for my SVT.
    Sona si latine loqueris

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast