Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

James Barone Racing

Rookie

Default My car over heats at idle then when driving it cools down anybody had this problem.

I have a 2000 ford focus with a 2001 engine inside of it. when the car gets hot and i am sitting at idle in traffic or just at idle the temp goes all the way up in the red and sits there until i start moving and the engine start cooling from the outside air. so i let the car sit at idle one day and the engine went all the way to the red and then eventually the fan kicked on and bought the temp half way but the fan kicks on way too late the temp was at 240degrees or more i had a scan tool on it. Aready i changed the thermostat and thermostat housing. I am thinking about changing the coolant temp sensor any advice or have any body has had this problems before.

Default Re: My car over heats at idle then when driving it cools down anybody had this problem.

You don't have a coolant temperature sensor...non-SVT Zetecs were not equipped with them. The temperature gauge is run by the head temperature sensor through the ECU...if this sensor was dead the gauge would act erratic; it would stay to the cold side of its range even after the engine was warmed up or would show normal or hot as soon as you start the car from a cold state. If the gauge starts at cold and works its way to the hot side the sensor should be OK.

If the car overheats at idle and cools back down once you get moving its probably a problem with the radiator fans; normally one of the fans runs at half speed to keep air flowing when the car is stopped or moving slowly and once you accelerate it relies on the car's speed to force air through the radiator. Odds are you have a dead resistor pack between the two fans; a good way to test this is turn on the AC when the car is at idle...both fans should turn on at full blast. If they don't come on with the AC check the fuse and then start looking for a break in the circuit.

Rookie

Default Re: My car over heats at idle then when driving it cools down anybody had this problem.

Thank you so much ill try it today or tommorow and i will let you know.

Rookie

if both fans cut on when i turn on the a/c or if just 1 works can it be the resistor still because i changed the fan relays.

So when you turn the AC on both fans turn on? Or just one?

Rookie

both fans turn on and then they run like 30 seconds cut off, then run again another 30 seconds and so on. But i remeber like 2 times or 3 i was driving on the highway and i was driving for like 20 minutes and the temp gauge stayed at cold almost the whole trip then it started workingcorrectly after. it happened about 2 or 3 times like 2 months ago and it never happened again. but at idle the temp always goes up. the fans cut on eventually though but on high not low. so i wonder if i should just change both the resistor and the sensor? but i also use synthetic in my vehicle. let me know anyway were that temp sensor is just in case and give mesome more advice.

Synthetic oil? That shouldn't have really any impact on what you're experiencing.

What engine is in there? Is it a Zetec or SPI?
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 53,000 km and 33,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

Rookie

Hi all, Newbie here! I'm having a similiar prob. on my 04. Not wanting to hijack just to learn. OP have you found/fixed you problem?

TEAM Member

My guess is that for some reason the fans are not being activated properly, or they are activated, but not moving enough air. The problem goes away when you are moving as the draft moves the air across the radiator.

Another possibility is dying coolant pump. You could rev up the engine some while sitting at idle to cruising RPM and see if that corrects the issue. If not, go back to the previous issue I pointed out

Rookie

I did a little investigating on the thermister/resister (not sure of the exact name) the one mounted above and between the fans. I popped it out of the fan shroud, externally it looked fine. Someone stated that the wires were being cooked by the heat of the exhaust man. The wires looked fine, no obvious heat related damage. But, I did disconnect the thermister from the wire harness. Hello, lookie here, inside the connector was definate damage. The terminals were cooked and the surrounding plastic was melted. It looked more like hi-amp draw damage than radiant heat damage. Now I have to call the dealer to see if I can replace the connector.

Talk to FORDSVTPARTS on here or post in his sponsor subforum Tousley Ford...he works at a Ford dealer and sells parts at 10% above cost...undoubtedly cheaper than what your local dealer will charge.

TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by chudoc
    I did a little investigating on the thermister/resister (not sure of the exact name) the one mounted above and between the fans. I popped it out of the fan shroud, externally it looked fine. Someone stated that the wires were being cooked by the heat of the exhaust man. The wires looked fine, no obvious heat related damage. But, I did disconnect the thermister from the wire harness. Hello, lookie here, inside the connector was definate damage. The terminals were cooked and the surrounding plastic was melted. It looked more like hi-amp draw damage than radiant heat damage. Now I have to call the dealer to see if I can replace the connector.
    It probably got loose or corroded and built-up resistance. The resistance will cause the load to receive reduced power(I say "load" as I'm not sure what the connector you're referring to powers) and the connector itself would heat up.

If the connector was in proper order, I would think the fuse upstream would blow before this happens, but nonetheless turn the fan by hand and check for draggy bearings which would cause excessive current draw.

Rookie

The actual termination/connector looks cheesy. I could see how the terminal itself could loose contact over time and begin to heat up. One of the first things I did was to spin both fans to check for a frozen or dragging fan, all was good. I had no way of replacing the resistor or plug that evening. So I cleaned up the connections and put it back together. The BEST part, I heard the fans come on by themselves yesterday, and that was without the A/C on!