Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Default Tail light fuse blowing

I have a 2000 ford focus SE sedan, That the tail lights, dash lights and front marker lights all went out on. I checked and found the blown #10 use under the drivers panel, but it blows this fuse immediately when i turn the headlight switch on. Any help??

Default Re: Tail light fuse blowing

It sounds like an electrical short somewhere. Have you done anything electrical to the car lately (like add in any aftermarket lighting or security or audio systems)?
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 53,000 km and 33,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

I had a similar problem on my 2001 1.6 focus. The passenger-side (UK) side-lights and the number-plate lights were all out. The driver-side side lights were fine (seperate fuse). I changed the fuse and it blew as soon as I turned the light switch.

Much head-scratching and forum searching revealed a very odd solution to this problem: After NINE YEARS of no trouble with the lights, the number plate (licence plate) lights had developed a short. In my car, everything's plastic around these lights, so it's truly weird... but I removed the number plate lights, cleaned in there, popped them back in and presto! Problem solved. Shouldn't be a problem again for another nine years!

I have a 2007 Ford focus wagon. Same exact problem. I took off the back panel to see if it was due to the license plate light but all that seems to be OK.
    2 things that seem to be related to it. Wet weather (i.e. causing the short) and maybe the door "alarm" (i.e. that annoying beeping sound that goes off when you leave the lights on). I'm going to start there and see if I can find the short. In other forums they have suggested the short due to water damage on the back of the fuse box. I'm going to look there. Ugh, these can be nightmare to track down! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Check the wires for the trunk lid, may be the same problem as the hatches.