Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FJ Gear Store

Default Ford Focus 2003 Overheating Problem

I have a ford focus 2003 SE that is overheating.
    The radiator, pump , and fans seem to be working fine.
    I took it to a mechanic and he tried to change the Thermostat....when he opened it it didnt have one in there to begin with! He said if he put one in there it might make it worse.
    Can it be the temperature sensors??

Ive had this car for about a year (it was salvaged and preowned) but ive used it a lot and its never had any problems. it currently has 70,000 miles.

It overheats quickly when i push it to about 45+ mph. If it cruise around the city it doesnt really overheat. If i let off the gas it quickly goes back to the half mark (normal temp). To me it seems like its misreading the temperature, but i dont know anything about cars so your help is greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Default Re: Ford Focus 2003 Overheating Problem

There should be a thermostat in there. I don't buy the idea that there was none there in the first place. I don't see how putting one back in there would make it worse than it is.

Can you tell if the cooling fans are coming on?
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 60,000 km and 36,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH

Quote Originally Posted by GapBoyPCS View Post
    There should be a thermostat in there. I don't buy the idea that there was none there in the first place. I don't see how putting one back in there would make it worse than it is.

Can you tell if the cooling fans are coming on?

I dont understand it either but there was no thermostat... 0.o????
    and yes the fans are comming on. and the radiator is cooling the water by about 30degrees

i read somewhere that the focus has a failsafe in case of overheating and that 2 pistons turn to air pistons to allow more cooling of the engine. is this true? because i felt like i lost power when i was on an uphill and my engine started overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by workinghormiga View Post
    I dont understand it either but there was no thermostat... 0.o????
    and yes the fans are comming on. and the radiator is cooling the water by about 30degrees

i read somewhere that the focus has a failsafe in case of overheating and that 2 pistons turn to air pistons to allow more cooling of the engine. is this true? because i felt like i lost power when i was on an uphill and my engine started overheating.
    It does, but it's only on the Zetec and Duratec engines. If it does come on, the Check Engine Light should also be flashing.

Did the mechanic perform a diagnostic to check for any engine codes?
    Richard
    2002 ZTS | Sangria Red |
    Over 521,000 km and 323,000 miles
    2012 SE Sport | Red Candy | Over 60,000 km and 36,000 miles

[FJ] focaljet - Forum Guidelines - Welcome to the Jet - 2012 Focus - Team Canada - FJ Store - Sponsors - SEARCH