Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Top Speed Performance

Rookie

Default MTX75 What appears to be 2 drain plugs

I'm attempting to replace the transmission fluid in a 2002
    Focus with Zetec engine and a MTX 75 5 speed trans. There are 2 drain plugs on the bottom, should I remove both to allow fluid to drain?

DoubleStuf™

Default Re: MTX75 What appears to be 2 drain plugs

believe it or not, I think one of those is used to put fluid in. The other is the drain. You have to make like a beer-bong device to put tranny fluid in.

Rookie

There is another plug up on the side toward the front of the car that I thought was to add fluid. These are both on the bottom side by side about a inch apart.

Senior TEAM Member

A pic would be great, because I don't think anybody knows what on Earth you're talking about.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but are you sure you're looking at the drain plug, rather than 1.) the bolts that hold the two halves of the transmission together, or 2.) the bolts that hold the tranny to the engine?

The drain and fill plugs both have an Allen head.

Rookie

I'll see if I can get a picture up. Thanks

Rookie

How would I get a picture onto the forum? These plugs are both hex head and are both on the bottom of of the trans.

Rookie

Problem solved, the 2 "Plugs" are in fact part of the housing casting. They do have hex type heads but are not plugs. Poor lighting and failing close up vision are the problem. Sorry for the confussion and thanks for the attempted help. I see the correct plug for draining stashed up between the housing and mount. Thanks again.

TEAM Member

Here's some pics from my SVT the layout should be similar.

This is the fill plug, this should be removed first. If you remove the drain plug first in the event that your car is driven in the salt belt the fill plug may be siezed. If this happens you will have removed the drain plug, drained all the fluid and now will have no way to replace it.

Next use a hex socket to remove the fill plug.

Then remove the drain plug and collect the fluid.

Here is the drain plug.

There are a few ways to fill the tranny back up. I used a funnel with a silicon hose going down through the engine compartment by the battery and coilpack. If the car is on jack stands or an un-level floor be careful not to overfill the tranny. Overfilling will generate a lot of heat and may damage a lot of expensive components.

That's the gear oil for the differential you replaced right? If so what weight did you use? And how do you know when it's full while you're filling it?

Senior TEAM Member

The Focus has a transaxle, so the differential and transmission are combined into one unit. There's no separate differential to drain and fill like on rear- or all-wheel-drive.

I think all Foci with the MTX-75 need 2.1 quarts of fluid. I know the Ford spec is for the fluid to be within 5mm of the bottom of the fill hole. And, as was already mentioned, make sure you check the fluid with the vehicle level.

As for what fluid to use, our semi-resident guru, Terry Haines (KogboxKing) seems to like:
    1.) Mobil 1 + Ford synthetic friction modifier
    2.) Ford "honey" + friction modifier

The "honey" is XT-M5-QS, and the friction additive is XL-7. I think.

Rookie

Thanks for the pictures, my tranny looks slightly different
    but the point is clear.
    I used the Motorcraft XT-M5-QS without any additional additives, shifts fine in all gears.However the slight fluttering sound that I've been told is gear rollover is still there.