Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FJ Gear Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Signs of a slipping clutch?

Here is a question for those of you out there who have experienced this problem. When a clutch plate begins to wear out... what does it feel like? I know a lot of people refer to 'slipping' but I honestly don't know what that would feel like, what conditions might exagerate the signs, etc.

I have a 2001 5 spd with around 130k on the clock and I'm noticing wierd little 'slips' that feel like something is loosing traction when I accelerate at certain times. Wanted to hear what signs you all noticed before having to replace the clutch for comparison.
    April 2010 FF ROTM
    2011 Yellow Blaze Metallic SES Fiesta hatch

Carlisle AFN 2011 & 2013 1st Place - Fiesta Class
    FR '11 Winner - Best Fiesta

NA Zetec Driver //// Where Bolt ons + Cams = 120whp

Default Re: Signs of a slipping clutch?

slipping would be you hit the gas and the car hardly accelerates. the rpm will go up but the speed will not. it usually happens in higher gears. get on the freeway in 5th and stomp on it.. if the revs climb but your not moving any faster then your clutch is slipping
    Proud member of the 165k+ mile club

Proud Member of the SE Mich Crew! MI > MN

Quote Originally Posted by cjmartinyzx3
    slipping would be you hit the gas and the car hardly accelerates. the rpm will go up but the speed will not. it usually happens in higher gears. get on the freeway in 5th and stomp on it.. if the revs climb but your not moving any faster then your clutch is slipping
    Hmm... ok. Would the slipping happen more frequently on say... really hot days?

It seems right now, like I only really notice this issue on hot days after I've been driving for a while at highway speeds. Then I'll hit a stop light. When I go to accellerate, the car will be fine through 1st and 2nd, but when I hit about 3500-4000 in 3rd I'll notice a hesitation, or slip. Like the car was gaining speed just fine and then something lost contact between the engine and wheels.

I'll upshift to 4th and again it will be fine in the lower RPM's but right about 4000 it'll do the same thing; ditto for 5th. I notice it too climbing hills in 5th when I stomp on it, as you put it. Fine until around 4000 then slips. I'll have to watch it next time to see if they RPM's keep climbing as you said.

Thanks for the reply!
    April 2010 FF ROTM

sounds like its slipping, 4000 is about max torque on these engines and thats what causes a clutch to slip.

id start saving for a new clutch. if your not going to be adding more power (along the lines of supercharger/turbo) then get the exedy OEM from Focussport.

you can baby it for some time, just keep it from slipping and it could last a little while longer

Quote Originally Posted by cjmartinyzx3
    sounds like its slipping, 4000 is about max torque on these engines and thats what causes a clutch to slip.

id start saving for a new clutch. if your not going to be adding more power (along the lines of supercharger/turbo) then get the exedy OEM from Focussport.

you can baby it for some time, just keep it from slipping and it could last a little while longer
    Saw the clutch kit on Focussport just now, boy am I glad I have the Zetec! heh, I think we get off the cheapest on this part OEM. Would anything need to be done to the flywheel? Resurfacing or anything?
    April 2010 FF ROTM

Senior TEAM Member

Quote Originally Posted by slipster17
    Would anything need to be done to the flywheel? Resurfacing or anything?
    Most of the time it doesn't need to be resurfaced or replaced. But it depends on the condition when the engine and tranny are disassembled for clutch replacement. If it's unevenly worn, pitted, deeply scored, or otherwise defective ... It needs to be resurfaced or replaced.
    02 sedan se (aka The SC'd se)
    Focussport/VF vortech intercooled currently @ 201 whp & 186 wtq on 93 octane

Hey -- we don't know nothing about kids. So if you need something... Find it yourself. Or better yet, learn to do without.

it would need to be resurfaced. it is slipping now and possibly glazing the flywheel. which will just cause the new clutch to slip also. its just like brakes, replace it or get the rotors resurfaced.

make sure there are no heat cracks and what not.

Premier Sponsor

Are we talking about resurfacing the stock flywheel here?

Quote Originally Posted by FocusSportVP
    Are we talking about resurfacing the stock flywheel here?
    Yes, the stock flywheel, I was just asking opinions

I used to work for a parts dealer that did alot of business with a local tractor trailer repair shop. They resurfaced just about every clutch they pulled out of a truck, so just figured I'd ask.

April 2010 FF ROTM

Senior TEAM Member

x2 on exedy OEM I am loving mine, takes all the crap a new mtx driver like me can put it through without any burns, glazes nor slips. And I am putting down quite a bit of NA power.

I <3 UC^3

When you were accelerating, were you at WOT or just nice and easy? If it wasn't WOT, it doesn't sound like the clutch. It could be a slight hiccup in the form of ignition or tune related or even heatsoak.
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST
    1985 Nimbus Grey Merkur XR4Ti

Have a Focus ST? Check out FJ's partner site, Focus ST Network

Quote Originally Posted by hEaT
    When you were accelerating, were you at WOT or just nice and easy? If it wasn't WOT, it doesn't sound like the clutch. It could be a slight hiccup in the form of ignition or tune related or even heatsoak.
    I'd have to ask you to explain a little more hEat.

What does WOT stand for and what is heatsoak?
    April 2010 FF ROTM

Premier Sponsor

WOT = wide open throttle

Heatsoak is when components get hot from other hot surrounding components and often times refers to when this happens when operation stops and the car sits for a bit.

^^ Thanks for that Randy.

Seems like most time it does this I am hard on the gas, but I can think of at least one instance where I felt the same thing but was only trying to maintain speed on the highway in 5th, not really flooring it.

Didn't even think to take a look at the spark plugs, but they have been on the car since for probably more than a year now that I think about it... And I've done a TON of driving in that time.

As for a tune being the issue, I haven't tuned the car yet. I haven't had the money to drop and get an XCal or anything (not that I'm really sure I want to) so it is still on the stock tune.
    April 2010 FF ROTM

TEAM Member

My clutch is does the same thing but only when I shift hard and its done it too me 2 times in 2 days and I drive 160 miles a day. It is getting me worried cause theres no way in hell can afford a new clutch right now. Work just started to pick up so I barley got cought up on bills and now its slowing down again. How long do you guys think it will last if I baby it?
    03 2.3 ZX3 with svt susp. and h&r sways, 15" FN01RC's. F2 header. Cossi stg 1 cams. FS intake. FS tune. FS Stealth muffler. Exedy oem clutch and fly. F2 sts. Sparco seats. Still gets 30 hwy mpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast