Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FJ Gear Store

Default failing slave cylinder?

Over the pass few days, I've been banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with this, but I think my research and testing might have paid off.

With the car off, I can go through all the gears with no issues. While the car is running, I can barely get into any gears (reverse is impossible unless rolling backwards or started in reverse) with the clutch depressed. With the clutch pushed to the floor, on a even surface, I can go to put it in gear and where I feel the resistance starts, the car will ever so slightly start rolling forward. Lifting my foot up from the floor in first, and I can feel the clutch engaging almost nothing from the floor.
    I had to take out my winter mats just so that the clutch can go down as far as possible, else I can't get into any gear.

The car is driveable only with double-clutching, else there's too much resistance to change the gear without the revs being close.

From what I've read, these are symptoms of a failing/failed slave cylinder. I park in a garage every day, and there are no leaks, and my brakes work normally. Fluid level under the hood is normal.

Am I on the right path here? If so, is there anyway to confirm that it's the slave?

Thanks,
    [foci]
    Infra-Red ZX4 ST - sony audiophile, FS Cool-flo CAI.
    2002 Liquid Grey ZTS - traded-in, phew.

TEAM Member

Default Re: failing slave cylinder?

im actualyl dealing with this EXACT SAME PROBLEM..lol. ive ended up replacing the slave and the clutch master and its still not working.

just judging by how its pretty equal to my symptoms, its more than likely the clutch pressure plate. save urself the hassle and just replace the entire clutch. it come with the new slave/throwout bearing with it anyway.

i was told to do the whole combo when i was convinced it was just the slave, now im pulling the entire trans back off to replace the clutch set.
    2k zx3, mbrp catback, ebay raceheader and flex, steeda stick, fs wires, ported tb, energy suspension motor bushing inserts, svt suspension swap..16.05 @ 86ishmph (pre xcal2)

Should all that have gone bad soon on this car? It's only got 40k miles. :/
    I don't really have the money right now to fix all that, so I was hoping it was just the slave
    [foci]

TEAM Member

i think my clutch only has like, maybe 15000 on it. i replaced it about a year and a half ago, and it went south. so its totally likely.

kinda sucks. iv spent 50 or so on the slave, i spent another 30 on the clutch master cylinder. my cv's were going bad, so i did those for 60 a piece. then i noticed the selenoid on my starter was falling apart, nother 150 bucks. now i just spent another 225 on the rest of the clutch bits. iv drained my entire harley fund on a car with almost 130k on the clock...i feel ur pain. lol
    2k zx3, mbrp catback, ebay raceheader and flex, steeda stick, fs wires, ported tb, energy suspension motor bushing inserts, svt suspension swap..16.05 @ 86ishmph (pre xcal2)

could it have been caused by the previous owner not knowing how to drive a manual properly?

I noticed tougher shifting than my old focus when I got it, but figured it was just how the duratec felt. Guess testing the new CAI finally made it go boom
    [foci]