Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

MFactory Competition Products

Default can you substitute dextron 3 mercon transmission fluid for mercon 5 transmission??

can you substitute dextron 3 mercon transmission fluid for mercon 5 transmission fluid without any issues happening to the car?

Default Re: can you substitute dextron 3 mercon transmission fluid for mercon 5 transmission?

I suspect your transmission won't explode.... especially if you use a Dex3/Merc5 certified ATF.

However, why would you do that? Care to let us in on a little more info?

Mercon V certified fluid is only like 4 bucks a quart.
    04 ATX Zetec sedan, FSW Cool-Flo, e2kIM, ported TB, header, TruBendz exhaust, SVT suspension, Steeda RSB, SVT FSB, FSW tune

32" HDTV posted in Garage Sale!

CarDomain Page

TEAM Member

Default Re: can you substitute dextron 3 mercon transmission fluid for mercon 5 transmission?

ford has a special fluid for the mtx75 p\n xt-m5-qs give them this part number at the dealer because its been my expirence most parts people dont know about it and will tell you to use atf fluid. get two quarts. it makes a significant difference with gear roll over noise, i really cant say i noticed much difference in shift feel as opposed to the mobile 1 atf i used before ford came out with this "ford honey" but its worth changing over to it.

2 qts will run u about 35 beans
    Machine0316

Senior TEAM Member MrBirdman330's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by koviebmx330 View Post
    can you substitute dextron 3 mercon transmission fluid for mercon 5 transmission fluid without any issues happening to the car?
    Do you want to kill the transmission slowly? If the answer to that question is ''No'' Then don't substitute it. If your manual says Mercon V use it. Its like putting 5W-30 in an engine that had has had a pure diet of 15-w40 its whole life, you're going to give it a heart attack.
    Basically its a place where HOLDEN and FORD fans go to have a massive fist fight and then, in the interval when the paramedics goes in some times a car race breaks out! - Richard Hammond

TEAM Member

No. Mercon and Dextron are two different types of fluid. Your tranny may not act up for awhile, but it will die a slow death.
    - If you've run out of mods, it's time to buy something new -
    2004 Sonic Blue ZX5 SVT; FS Cool-Flo, FR Plug Wires, VF Rear Mount, FR Short Throw shifter, fog light mod, Centric rotors, Hawk HPS, Russell SS lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine0316 View Post
    ford has a special fluid for the mtx75 p\n xt-m5-qs give them this part number at the dealer because its been my expirence most parts people dont know about it and will tell you to use atf fluid. get two quarts. it makes a significant difference with gear roll over noise, i really cant say i noticed much difference in shift feel as opposed to the mobile 1 atf i used before ford came out with this "ford honey" but its worth changing over to it.

2 qts will run u about 35 beans
    Apropos of nothing at all, since the question is about an ATX....

But the question remains for the OP. Why use Dex/Merc rather than Mercon V?

Or are you asking the question because you've already done it?
    04 ATX Zetec sedan, FSW Cool-Flo, e2kIM, ported TB, header, TruBendz exhaust, SVT suspension, Steeda RSB, SVT FSB, FSW tune

CarDomain Page

Senior TEAM Member

Your basic Dex/Merc ATF will boil and foam up if used in place where synthetic Merc V is required. Now you can generally use Merc V where Dex/Merc is required just not the other way around.
    '02 Liquid Gray ZX3
    Ported Focus Central Head, Comp Stage III Cams, CFM Cam Gears. Ported Contour Intake Manifold, Aluminum Contour Throttle Body, Custom Short Ram Intake, Underdrive Pulley, 4-1 Header, 2 1/2" flexback exhaust, Sniper Commando Tuned, A/C delete, B&M Short Throw Shifter, Eibach Springs on KYB AGX's, SVT Cluster, American Racing Outlaw II's

TEAM Member

oh, the mtx75 comes with syn atf mercon, it was not specified the type of trans. y would you have an atx anyway, a stick is way more fun.
    Machine0316

Quote Originally Posted by Machine0316 View Post
    oh, the mtx75 comes with syn atf mercon, it was not specified the type of trans. y would you have an atx anyway, a stick is way more fun.
    Once again, apropos of absolutely nothing at all....

CarDomain Page

sorry i havent responded in awhile. I havent been on.
    I asked the question because im swapping my transmission out because mine died. My uncle had a case of dex/mrc 3 in his garage. I was trying to save some $$.

I know a stick is a hell of a lot more fun beieve me. But this car was a "hand me down" so to speak from my sister who bought a new car and im only 17 and who wouldnt take a free car? Its an automatic so you guys dont need to tell me about the mtx. Im really just trying to get this done, keep the car a few more months and sell it or trade it in for a stick.