Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

MFactory Competition Products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mtx75 issues

Rookie

Unhappy Mtx75 issues

So today i was driving along, taking it easy, then all of a sudden i shifted into 2nd, let off the clutch, but it stayed in first. no matter what gear i went to, it stayed in first. the shift patter seemed to change drastically, almost like it was empty and i could move the shifter anywhere. Both shift cables are intact and moving? is my tranny screwed or what?

Orange cones scare me

Default Re: Mtx75 issues

did you check your trans fluid ?? if you have any see if its red or if its black (red is good black is bad)
    2001 Ford focus se wagon>>> traded in for my
    2013 F150 XLT 4wd 3.5l v6 ecoboost supercrew (4 door)
    2005 ford focus se ztw duratec manual

Rookie

havent gotten that far yet.. but i'll be sure to check the fluid for some metal filings and the color.

TEAM Member

That sure sounds like the little plastic doohickeys (yeah, good technical term) on the top of the trans that hold the shift linkage in place decided to snap. Not an uncommon thing on a Focus.

I suffered a similar thing today. Couldn't get 5th when I was pout of town, just grinding like it was ALMOST in gear. Tried over and over. Decided to pull over at a gas station, and lost EVERYTHING! Now it slops all over the place. Thought it was the plastic clippy things too, but the cables and external likages move just fine. It's like there's nothing attached to it on the inside. No gears, call the tow truck. Needless to say, I'm not really thrilled about what COULD be wrong, since I already had the motor and trans out this summer doing a clutch and Torsen. God knows I probably put something in wrong, cuz now it's 0 degrees outside.

Premier Sponsor

If you do a search you will find more information.

The shifter cables connect to the transmission. This is a removable "Module". It is held in by around 6 bolts. Remove the 6 bolts and remove this module. There is a shaft that goes thru the module that controls the "Shift Gate". There is a pin that locks the rod to the gear selector. When this pin shears, you lose everything. It is fixible. I have repaired a few of them. Drill out the pin and replace it with a bolt (grade 10.9). You will have to tap the hole. This should solve your problem.

I made it sound simpler than it is but it's not that difficult. There are many things in the way of this module. Once you get the module out, what I wrote will make more sense.

Do a search and perhaps someone has written a step-by-step guide to this, if not, someone should, it is a fairly common problem.

TEAM Member

remove the battery, battery tray, transmission mount (support the engine/trans from below)...that will allow access to the 'shifter module' then from there, do what lapp4sm described and hopefully that fixes it...

my question is this though...isn't that pin fairly small? like the diameter of a pencil lead (roughly)? are you implying to make the hole bigger THEN tap it for a bolt?

That's was my plan today to yank that module out and see. I found some exploded drawings online and figured it had to be in that shift fork stuff that broke. I can get a fairly decent assortments of bolts from my work, do you know about what mm it is?

Well, it sure is that pin. In fact, it's completely missing. It looks like a 5 mil hole. Any thoughts to just using a bolt and a nut? There seems to be enough room on both sides for that. Once my wife gets home, I'll be off to work to raid the bolt bin.

Premier Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MrPhilH View Post
    Well, it sure is that pin. In fact, it's completely missing. It looks like a 5 mil hole. Any thoughts to just using a bolt and a nut? There seems to be enough room on both sides for that. Once my wife gets home, I'll be off to work to raid the bolt bin.
    Good to hear, but, the big question. Where is that pin? Hopefully the transmission magnet grabbed it.

I didn't see it, but there is a bunch of tranny fluid down there. I hope the magnet got it too, cuz I'm not gonna take the transmission out to find it, that's for sure

Quote Originally Posted by zach92r View Post
    did you check your trans fluid ?? if you have any see if its red or if its black (red is good black is bad)
    You know the the manual transmission fluid isnt red unless someone put atf in an mtx. Believe me Ive had about 5 different kinds of fluid in my mtx.(long story)
    03 Focus ZX3 - currently parked until further notice
    07 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan - Replaced Focus as DD

That really expensive crap that Ford recommends for the MTX is red. I just put some in this past summer. It's a synthetic that seemed to be about the consistency of atf

I put mine last spring and it wasnt red. Must have changed it. Because I know for a fact it wasnt. Went through 4 bottles in 2 weeks do to a bad leak
    03 Focus ZX3 - currently parked until further notice
    07 Subaru Impreza 2.5i sedan - Replaced Focus as DD

So my car's all back together, and it moves under it's own power again, which is always good. But the shift pattern seems so much tighter than it was before. Makes me wonder how long that pin has been bent/cracked/broke. Oh well. Until the next broken part surfaces.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast