Ford Focus Forum banner

Antenna Base Replacement

16K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  SVTF445 
#1 ·
Ok, so some assclown vandalized my car by breaking off my antenna.
I've got the new base, and from what I can tell
access is from underneath the domelight.
Can anyone confirm this, and do you have any tips
so I don't screw anything up?

[ 08-30-2002: Message edited by: KonaZXIII ]</p>

#2 ·
It should be a pretty straight forward replacement. Although I haven't done one myself. The manual say's to remove the light assembly to access the antenna base and that's really about it.

#6 ·
www.c-f-m.com Central Florida Motorsports. Its like 9 bux from them for a new base. Click the store link on the upper right part of the page and navigate around to exterior accessories. I'm a lucky one, they're driving distance from where I live, so when I had to get a new one, and a new billet antenna, it was like 30m up and 30m back. :)
Paited antenna base ... now why didn't I think of that. I've been planning to paint all of my plastic moulding a nice smooth black to match my body. Might do the antenna base as well. How much prep work did it take?

#10 ·
I found an OEM base for $6.55 at Tousley Ford. I've used them for years and their pricing has always been good and support has been good when required. Note this does not include the antenna mast or "upper cable".

Does anyone have any comments on the strength of the OEM v. non-OEM bases? I've found a few threads where people are on their third base. This is the first I've killed at 110k miles and 5 winters... and mine was killed by some over aggressive snow clearing by my helpful wife.

So it sounds like a cheap fix, but... I have to dig the broken stud out of the old antenna mast. I considered just buying a stainless stud and screwing and tapping both sides, but for $6.55 that's sounds like too much work...

Links:

Direct Link

In case that doesn't work:

http://www.tousleyfordparts.com
Collision Catalog - 2003 - Ford - Focus Electrical, Antenna, Base, Base

#11 ·
So I halfway did my replacement... I need to use a drill press to get the broken stud out of the antenna mast.... the break was pretty ragged and deep inside the mast, so my easy out didn't center... so now I need to drill it out and chase the threads... wish me luck!

I figured I'd post a few notes for those trying to attempt this:
+ Despite my difficulty its a generally easy fix
+ You'll need a T25 bit or key to get the old base off
+ The Ford p/n for the base is XS8Z-18919-AA
+ The stud is an M6, so if you need to chase the threads in the mast use that tap NOT a 1/4-20
+ Remember to clean the sealing area outside the area after removing the old base
+ Both the dome light and moon roof motor cover come off with very little force - use a piece of cardboard to protect the bezel when prying them of with a small flat screw driver.
+ You don't have to remove the moon roof motor cover (if equipped), but it gives you a better view of the base screw. I was also getting some BSR (Buzz-Squeak-Rattle) from the cover and took this opportunity to put a few pieces of masking tape on its mating surfaces to get a tighter fit... we'll see if it works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.