Ford Focus Forum banner

What is the maximum acceptable engine oil temp?

27K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Jimmy 
#1 ·
I just bought some mini gauges to mount in my coin tray, I got Oil pressure 0-100psi, and water temp 100-250F. I want to use the water temp to measure oil temp instead. I think it should work fine for that.

When I'm on a racetrack, what is the maximum oil temp I would want to see before you have a problem?

Any ideas on how to mount the temp sender bulb in the oilpan?

#2 ·
Apparently, flashpoint for your typical motor oil is around 400-450 degrees. Obviously an extreme which you're most likely not going to reach.
You'd prolly be having other problems by then, though.
Maybe Turbo Tom knows? He's prolly had to measure engine coolant and lubricant temps while trying to detect detonation during development of his turbo? He also may have just measured exhaust temps, though.

#4 ·
To tell you the truth, I am not sure of specific oil temp specs, but I think a good rule of thumb is that 230 is too hot. I'm guessing here that a good temperature range would be something like 130-190. Have you tried to look at an actual oil temp gauge to see what it's range is? That might be your best bet.

Hope I helped!

[edit]I saw yout mounting question after the fact!
[/edit]

Mounting the sending unit can be tricky, but I think a good way to do it would be to remove the oil pan and have a nut welded into it somewhere where the sending unit won't get hit by the crank and where it won't interfere with the oil pick-up tube.

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: noresull ]</p>

#5 ·
Good old GOOGLE!

We recommend Mobil 1 synthetic engine oil, but not for break in (use a good quality mineral oil, not Castrol). Oil coolers should be equipped with a thermostat, and must be mounted vertically with the oil feed on the bottom. WARNING: If your previous engine experienced internal failure, you must replace your oil cooler. Oil coolers cannot be effectively cleaned of engine debris. Only factory filters should be used. Minimum running oil temperature: 200 degrees. Maximum: 260 (synthetic), 240 (mineral).

http://www.srsvw.com/engines.htm

I hope the above isn't for an air-cooled VW I didn't look to hard at the site.

For motorcycles I heard you wanted to be above 212F (boiling point of water) to get the water out of the lube system. Bikes may be differnt as the oil is both for the engine and tranny. Plus in my case, air cooled engine, it is for cooling as well.

#6 ·
Noresull, I looked at other oil temp gauges, they're all in that range. I've seen some that stop at 240, some stop at 280... So this one should be fine. And the price was right. $30 for an oil pressure, temp, and voltage. Plus, I couldn't find any others that would fit in the same way. They are whiteface the same as all my other gauges, and 1.5" so I can get two in the "booger bin" instead of a single 2.0875" gauges. I was hoping there would be an easier way of mounting it, I had thought of that already and it sounds like a nightmare. I wonder how much a new oilpan costs. That way, I could have the work done, and just swap it next time I change my oil. I think I can pull the pan with the engine still in the car?
raying:

2001ZTS, thanks! Strange, I searched google, and couldn't get anything good.

#7 ·
With my oil cooler installed my car operates at a consistent 180 degrees rolling. Sitting at an idle for 20 minutes, my car heats up to around 210 degrees. It's never (knocking on wood) gone over 210, even on hot days. So, I would assume without an oil cooler (and added oil) that your stock setup should run about what mine does at idle.

To answer your question .. I would say 200-210 degrees.

#8 ·
P-51 those are the same guages I got. The only one I've installed so far is the voltimeter. I'm interested in finding out how you install the others.

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: Jimmy ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.