Ford Focus Forum banner

exclamation point light - auto trans problem?

14K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Honkeytonk Monkey 
#1 ·
I was cruising normally on a local road in dry weather when the "!" light came on and the car jerked forward..seemed to go out of gear. Then, as quickly as it happened the light went off and the car was fine again...
what the heck happened?

could this have something to do with my mods, is this just a fluke or is this a sign of something more serious?

See less See more
#2 ·
With it only happening the once, I would say something got confused and went stupid. Keep a close eye on it and make note of anything unusual that happens.

#4 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by noresull:
[QB]I would say something got confused and went stupid.QB]<hr></blockquote>

I would say that it's typical of anything mechanical. That's what I think when I work on my computer/bike/car/food...

#5 ·
What I've had happen three times now is the car going 'stupid' with a exclamation for a second, by turning on the high beams.

Flash highbeams... (!) surge... normal. Flash highbeams again... no problem. Tried playing with the highbeams for the rest of the trip and couldn't reproduce it. But its happened before with the activation of the highbeams and I can't figure it out.

#6 ·
Ihad a tough time starting her this morning. It seemed like it didn't want to start. Then for a split second the ! light came on. It went away and I left for work.

A few minutes later the car surged like I down shifted or the brakes in the back came on. It was weird. It was light the car went stupid for a few seconds. As fast as it came it went away and the car was fine. I took my chip out and ever since I have had surges from 2200-3000 rpms. What does the exclamation light signify. Any help would be appreciated.

This only seems to happen in warm weather. Last summer I had the car die while stopped for a stop light, on two seperate occasions. And a few time it took a few cranks to get it to start. Like I said this is only in warm weather.

Also, only in warm weather, the right passenger side speaker will pop. Like when you are hooking up a speaker when there is a power source. It seems to happen on acceleration. But no pattern, just every once in a while.

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: [\]iteshift ]</p>

#8 ·
happened to me after a LONG sit at a stoplight with one foot on the brake and the other on the gas getting ready to have some fun, exclamtion point came on, light turned green, car took off faster than I've ever had it go before, didnt get out of first...hit the brakes, light went off.....who knows.....

#9 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by [\]iteshift:
Ihad a tough time starting her this morning. It seemed like it didn't want to start. Then for a split second the ! light came on. It went away and I left for work.

A few minutes later the car surged like I down shifted or the brakes in the back came on. It was weird. It was light the car went stupid for a few seconds. As fast as it came it went away and the car was fine. I took my chip out and ever since I have had surges from 2200-3000 rpms. What does the exclamation light signify. Any help would be appreciated.

This only seems to happen in warm weather. Last summer I had the car die while stopped for a stop light, on two seperate occasions. And a few time it took a few cranks to get it to start. Like I said this is only in warm weather.

Also, only in warm weather, the right passenger side speaker will pop. Like when you are hooking up a speaker when there is a power source. It seems to happen on acceleration. But no pattern, just every once in a while.

[ 04-02-2002: Message edited by: [\]iteshift ]
<hr></blockquote>

I have never had any problems with that light, as for the speaker, check your wiring, You may even have a bad speaker.

#10 ·
HatchbackInBlack said:
I was cruising normally on a local road in dry weather when the "!" light came on and the car jerked forward..seemed to go out of gear. Then, as quickly as it happened the light went off and the car was fine again...
what the heck happened?

could this have something to do with my mods, is this just a fluke or is this a sign of something more serious?
i know this thread is REALLY old, but i've been having this problem for over a month now, and i can't figure anything out.... does anyone know what could cause this? i replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and transmission fluid... still having this issue..:screwy:

#11 ·
STLfocus said:
i know this thread is REALLY old, but i've been having this problem for over a month now, and i can't figure anything out.... does anyone know what could cause this? i replaced the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, and transmission fluid... still having this issue..:screwy:
It means you need to get that car into the dealer/shop.

If the light comes on for one time, it's as noresull implied: something went stupid and it should be back to normal. However, if it's on for over a month, it means there is definitely something wrong and you need a good place to find out what it is.

Since the light is triggered, there is probably a code being stored in the car's computer. If you have access to a code reader or a shop that will do it for free, you can pull the code(s) to see what is being stored. Still, the code is an indication of what may be wrong. Your dealer/shop will have to do their usual diagnostic tests to see what is going on.

#13 ·
STLfocus said:
well i've had it scanned by a shop, and no codes are coming up at all.... i've been reading online and it seems that when its happend to other people, they changed their battery cables and the problem was resolved...
Have you had the cable replaced yet?

All the cars that had battery cable problems were notified by mail saying their cars were covered.

Aside from that, it might be wise in having a good, reputable shop or dealership try and see what the problem is exactly. It may well be the battery cable, but at this rate, you may as well ante up the diagnostic fee places charge for assurance of the exact cause(s) of the problem. It beats throwing in more $$$ for parts that may not necessarily be the problem.

#14 ·
Upgrade your ground cable, the wire ford uses is pathetic and I think it causes problems with the amount of voltage getting to the car's brain at certain times. The ZX3 I'm driving right now had stock wiring in it when I got it and if I had the radio up high the car would idle irradically, dropping really low sometimes and other times sticking around 1500. After I replaced the big 3 wires under the hood it stopped and hasn't done so since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.