Ford Focus Forum banner

Lifters making some noise what to do?(UPDATE)

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Low Focus 
#1 ·
Hey guys I went to the dealership and they say its injectors, and it normal.
whatever, I had the same problem with my 99 SS Sonoma, And they adjusted the lifters/valves what ever, and it was fixed. So on tuseday the shop forman is going to see the car. The Car sounds like **** now, I have owned the car from 35,000km to Now 55,000km And this problem just started to show up the last week or two.

What should I do

Thanks Marco.

[ 02-07-2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Low Focus ]

See less See more
#3 ·
Well when the car is at idle, everynow and again I would hear a tapping sound, it doesn't sound like injector noise, more like a sicking lifter.

thats what I have.

thanks Marco

#4 ·
Originally posted by Low Focus:
Well when the car is at idle, everynow and again I would hear a tapping sound, it doesn't sound like injector noise, more like a sicking lifter.

thats what I have.

thanks Marco
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just started noticing this in my car too. I usually have the radio all th way up, But like last week on the drive thru at BK I noticed this. So keep us posted on what the deal is. My cars still under warrenty so I assume I'd get it fix free anyway.

#10 ·
Zetec uses solid tappits, not lifters, which will be noiser than hydraulic lifters. Adjustment can be done, but it requires replacing tappits.

#11 ·
what steps are needed to performing this task.
also what can I say to the dealership?
thank noresull I almost gave up hope.

Marco

#12 ·
One good way to check to see if its the injectors or the valves is to go down a pretty steep hill drop it to 2ed or 3rd on a 6 speed (or what ever will bring you almost to redline)and let off the clutch and listen for the injectors to stop ticking or they should stop ticking cause the engine is not calling for any fuel. go from 6000rpms to about 1500rpms decelerating.

#13 ·
I don't mean to call you out, noresull, but this says that #12 - Engine, Cylinder Head & Valves, Valve Lifters, 2.0L Dohc...are they just calling them "lifters" or what?

#14 ·
Ok guys/gals the car was dropped off at the dealership at 9:30am which is now staying overnight? I think something is getting fixed, So I'll keep you up dated. There looking at the trans as well shop formman says 2nd and 3rd don't feel right.
So maybe I'm in luck. I hope to have my car back so I can install my 2002 euro bumper and JMS Lip, before the end of the month.

Thanks
Marco

#17 ·
The Zetec has what are called lifters or buckets. Very similar to motorcycle's valvetrain. To adjust the valve clearance, the buckets need to be exchanged with the correct thickness bucket. The buckets have a range of about .013".

#18 ·
Originally posted by buzzbomb:
I don't mean to call you out, noresull, but this says that #12 - Engine, Cylinder Head & Valves, Valve Lifters, 2.0L Dohc...are they just calling them "lifters" or what?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Originally posted by fruitport_focus:
The Zetec has what are called lifters or buckets. Very similar to motorcycle's valvetrain. To adjust the valve clearance, the buckets need to be exchanged with the correct thickness bucket. The buckets have a range of about .013".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Here's your answer Buzz.

#19 ·
Originally posted by noresull:
Zetec uses solid tappits, not lifters, which will be noiser than hydraulic lifters.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I hate to jack the thread and make it Engine Design 101, but what's the difference between solid tappits, lifters, and hydraulic lifters? I'm cornfuzzled

#20 ·
Solid tappit's, a solid connection between the cam and the valve or in push rod engines the push rod and requires a precise valve clearance adjustment. Hydraulic lifters are used where no adjustment to the valve clearance is neccesary and it's technical term is Hydraulic valve lash adjuster. Lifter is the generic name for all types of devices, solid or hydraulic, that connect the cam to the valves in overhead camshaft engines or the cam to the push rods in push rod engines.

#21 ·
So my car is staying overnight, they found that the starter was staying ingaged,So there by making a grinding noise at low rpm
, They also said check engine light came on while they where working on it and some parts are needed, They left me in the dark with that, So if they fix whatever it is I'm fine with that.

almost forgot now I have a new starter

Plus whatever there doing

Marco

[ 02-05-2003, 07:01 PM: Message edited by: Low Focus ]

#22 ·
At least they are finding this now. I hate when I get it back and something else goes wrong in a day.

LOL

#23 ·
OK this is what they did:
Adjusted lifter/tapets
New DEPF/EGR Sensor
New Starter,

I guess going in there and acting stupid works, I just acted like I knew nothing
. They had my car since tuesday.
Job Well Done by my Dealership

Marco

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.