Ford Focus Forum banner

stalls when stopping

6K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  ixlfuzzlxi 
#1 ·
when ever i drive my car kinda hard but not crazy when ever i stop it just cuts off no jerks or n e thing it just shuts off and even if i dont drive hard it some times does it alos it iver heats if im in traffic a little but once i get going again it is beter but when ever i stop it just stalls

#5 ·
intake is fine but i dont got to werry n e more
i sold my car to my mom yet she dont know it yet
she is kickein me out of my house and the car is in her name so i jsut gonna stop makin paymenst and give her the car kinda sad i m loosin the focus but it was fun while it lasted

#8 ·
I'm getting similar odd sputter feel and sound and for some reason my tach goes back and forth and then my temp guage goes towards cool and then it mellows out again. Noticed it after turns on inclines when i stop. No mods, and had all services done to car, and new fuel pump.

#10 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ixlfuzzlxi:
intake is fine but i dont got to werry n e more
i sold my car to my mom yet she dont know it yet
she is kickein me out of my house and the car is in her name so i jsut gonna stop makin paymenst and give her the car kinda sad i m loosin the focus but it was fun while it lasted
<hr></blockquote>

Sorry but I cannot agree with your actions.All she has done for you and you are going to ruin her credit by doing this?
Oh well,I guess she raised you.So she knows how you are.

#11 ·
hey i have a zx5 2002 with only 3400 miles on it and have the same problem.sometimes when i turn right or go to down shift it stalls....and also when i turn on the air i loose alot of power....now i have 2 zx3"s and have now problems with these just my zx5 why????also the rear brakes are making noise all ready.i'm almost giving up all hope on ford products...i had a explorer sport that was a lemon blew 3 head gaskits in it with under 30,000 miles on it...and this is what they gave me a good deal on!!!any ideals or recals that anyone nows about?

#12 ·
im gonna bring this post back from the dead. i have a 2002 zx3 and its stalling every once in a while when i stop. the rpms drop and come back up. they keep doing that ans sometimes it stalls. my car is a mtx and it only does it in neutral.

i thought they fixed the fuel pump in the 02s? any suggestions. or should i say **** it and bring my car into the shop.

#13 ·
1) Check that your battery cables are tight.
2) Check that there are no loose intake or vacuum hoses or connectors.
3) Check that your intake ducts are all in place and tight.
4) If none of the above is the problem, then you most likely have a malfunction in the Idle Engine Speed Control sensor/valve. This is not a consumer serviceable part, unfortunately, and it is buried behing the engine. :-( Your dealer will have to replace it. It's about a $40 part, but the "standard hours" to fix it brings the total cost to about $200. The good news is that it only takes about an hour, and is covered under your warranty (or maybe your extended warranty).

#14 ·
OK, I have a small issue along this line....
My wife's '02 ZX-5 has stalled on her a couple of times.
I've never been able to duplicate it.
It ONLY happens shortly after COLD Startup.
Basically, she leaves the house, drives a block or two, and there's a Stop sign. If she Stops, and has to wait, she puts the car in Neutral, and lets off the clutch. This is when it dies.
It Restarts just fine. It doesn't do it if she keeps the clutch depressed. It doesn't do it after warm-up.
Any Ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.