Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

FSWerks

Senior TEAM Member

Default Remotes no longer work

Someone told me to try the old "remote-to-chin" distance trick, so I did; much to my surprise it actually worked. I think it worked a little too well, though, as now my remote doesn't work. I bought two new remotes and neither of those work either, so now I'm guessing that it's whatever receiver is in the car. Can someone give me some insight as to what might have happened, or even a part name/number for the remote receiver?

Note: I can't even get these remotes to program, i.e. when I turn the key from OFF to ON/RUN four times within six seconds, there isn't any kind of chime/alert that the system is ready to accept new remotes.

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: Remotes no longer work

Anyone? Noresull? I was looking at the Haynes manual today, and they say there's a test mode for the central lock module (for lack of a better name): Open door, and locate door light switch. Press this switch 6 times within 8 seconds and the car should go into a test mode where it beeps whenever a door is opened. I tried this, and there was no response from the car at all. Is this only for cars with factory alarm systems? I only have power door locks with remotes.

TEAM Member

I think you'll find the "remote to the chin" trick to be something of a fallacy. I heard first hard of this trick over 10 years ago and was surprised when it actually did seem to improve the range. But then simply by holding the remote with your arm extended (but at chin height) you can achive the same improvement in range.

Senior TEAM Member

Well, regardless of whether the trick is true or not, I'm still without the use of my remotes. If anyone knows the name/part number of the module that receives the remote's signal, please help a brother out

TEAM Member

This one could be tough. I had this happen on my Contour. I ultimately found a broken wire under the front seat.

First, test your battery in the sending unit. After that, it is a trace the wire problem. My Ford dealer gave me a copy of the schematics to help trace the problem one I know the issue was inside the car.

Senior TEAM Member

I decided to rip the control box out and call a dealership about a replacement. It's only a $38 part ("only $38?!" you say? I was expecting a lot more...) but I'm going to have the original piece tested in the car on Tuesday to see if it's the problem, as the new box would be non-returnable. Anyway, it's the little black box strapped to the front of the ECU, behind the glove box. Two Philips head screws hold it to the ECU retainer strap. Unscrew said screws, and unplug the box, and voila! Part number as stated on the box - 98 AG 15k600 KC CL RF PA - and part name - CONTR. ASY-R / CONTR LK & ALARM SYSTEM - Parts guy at dealership said it is referred to simply as the "control assembly". Also, once I got the thing indoors, I opened it up, and none of the visible electronic components seem catastrophically damaged...I know a visual inspection means about squat, but hey

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: Remotes no longer work *UPDATE*

Ok, I picked up the replacement receiver box today, and hooked it up. Nothing. Should I reset the computer via the old battery cable trick? Any ideas noresull?

Senior TEAM Member

Default Re: Remotes no longer work *FINAL UPDATE*

I got my remotes to work.

Turns out it had something to do with the green with white stripe wire that I had snipped to allow me un/lock the doors wihle the car was running (which came in very handy) and to disable the 4 MPH auto-door locks (which is very annoying). I reattached this wire, and the remotes program and all functions work as expected. I'll give it a little while, and if I get sick of the auto-locks or lack of lock-while-running ability, I'll probably solder in a switch on that wire. Yay.

Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off. ax0n's Avatar

I got my remotes to work.

Turns out it had something to do with the green with white stripe wire that I had snipped to allow me un/lock the doors wihle the car was running (which came in very handy) and to disable the 4 MPH auto-door locks (which is very annoying). I reattached this wire, and the remotes program and all functions work as expected. I'll give it a little while, and if I get sick of the auto-locks or lack of lock-while-running ability, I'll probably solder in a switch on that wire. Yay.
    Mine have yet to quit working on me, but I soldered a switch in anyways. It's a radioshack microswitch, and it came with a black rubber cover (and a red one that I tossed). I drilled a hole up in the glove box near where the book fits, and you can't even see it (since it's got a black cover on it) unless you know it's there. Switch UP = stock, DOWN = hax0rd

TEAM Member

Told you to check the wires!!

Ford can disable the autodoor locks for free. No wire cutting required. All you have to do is ask them. It is a free fix - for me it was anyway. I hate those autolocks!! Others like them.

There was a thread here once about how the user could do this, but I *think* it required the vehicle have the touch panel. Could be wrong. May want to do a search.

TEAM Member

i found the post about disabling autolock and bumped it up, just in case you wanna see it

Rookie

If you bought remotes from ford..first get into your car close the door then lock and unlock doors..them put the keys into the ign. Then turn the key 8 times to the on and off poss.then the doors will unlock...press lock on one remote to program them.....
    note...that only works up to 2003

If you bought remotes from ford..first get into your car close the door then lock and unlock doors..them put the keys into the ign. Then turn the key 8 times to the on and off poss.then the doors will unlock...press lock on one remote to program them.....
    note...that only works up to 2003
    3 times. not 8. at least on my 2K ZX3 it's only 3.

Senior TEAM Member

Mine didn't give the chime until I keyed it 4 times Weird.

you might not have waited long enough on one of the turns.