Ford Focus Forum banner

Ticking Noise coming from wheel?

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  hommie 
#1 ·
When I am driving my SVTF and have the window down I notice a ticking sound coming from the front tire area. It sounds like there is a rock or something stuck in the tire, but I checked the tires and nothing is there. To me it sounds like a wheel bearing issue, but I am not really sure. Anyone have any thoughts?

#4 ·
how would i know if i had a warped or dented wheel? my steering wheel isn't vibrating or anything like that but when i'm driving i also hear a noise but it's not ticking it's sounds kinda like "whop, whop, whop" it doesn't happen all the time just sometimes kinda weird sound, at first i thought it was road conditions, but then when the road is perfectly flat it still made that noise! if it is a dented or warped wheel is it covered under warranty???

#9 ·
Yeah I know there is something going on. However I know I will take it in and then it will not make the noise and then they will say that it is fine. I am taking it in on Friday for something else so I will have them look at it then.

#10 ·
are you guys that are getting that noise too referring to the " whop, whop whop" sound? or is it a ticking sound you guys getting? if it's the whop sound did any of you that brought it to the dealer get anything fixed?

#12 ·
are you guys that are getting that noise too referring to the " whop, whop whop" sound? or is it a ticking sound you guys getting? if it's the whop sound did any of you that brought it to the dealer get anything fixed?
I got sound you describe and it was from two loose lugs allowing the wheel to move maybe a millimeter.

#14 ·
Hi,
I had a tick. Right rear. Took a regional SVT tech, and a weeks time, to figure it out. I was told an O-ring had been left off the strut tower. Metal on metal tick. I'm starting to think my car must have been made on a Friday.

bb

#15 ·
Yeah I don't think it is the lug nuts since mine have never been off. Not to mention I checked them when I first got the car and they were torqued down to what they need to be. I am taking the car in tomorrow so I will let everyone know what they say. I am sure that they will not hear it and then say they found nothing wrong.

#16 ·
When I am driving my SVTF and have the window down I notice a ticking sound coming from the front tire area. It sounds like there is a rock or something stuck in the tire, but I checked the tires and nothing is there. To me it sounds like a wheel bearing issue, but I am not really sure. Anyone have any thoughts?
Same issue here. If I take it into Ford, they probably won't be able to hear the noise..... When I rotate my tires I am going to see if the noise stops and even inspect all the suspension and hub for anything perculiar.

#17 ·
Update! It turns out that the ticking noise was my throttle cable rubbing on the intake manifold. I guess there is a plastic cover that goes over the cable to protect and mine was gone. Now you have to remember this is what the dealership was saying. However I have not crawled under the car to see what is going on. It sounds like I will just have to live with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.