Ford Focus Forum banner

2002 F150 Xl does it have the chip in the key?

15K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  BackNFocus 
#1 ·
I have been argueing with my dad for a week about this...My focus my moms expo and my explorer all have the keys with the computer chip in them to make it so the car can start(i belive Ford calls it SECURIKEY) and my dad has the same looking key and the same lil black patch on it where the chip is...he thinks that becasue he has an XL F150 that its so crappy that the ignition is not electnicly controlled...meaning he can have it copied at home depot and it will start the car? does any one know if i win the bet my dad is paying off the rest of my focus 13,578 dollars
if not i have to get rid of every computer i own
so tell me good news!

See less See more
#2 ·
if it has the "patch" on the top yes it has a chip in it. the keys that don't have much smaller heads on them. it can easily be bypassed if dad dosen't want to pay $70 for a key.

#4 ·
if he dosen't believe you tell him to take it to wal-mart. they have something on their key cutting machine that senses
a chip.i guess they do that because the people working there are not smart enough to tell.

#5 ·
if he dosen't believe you tell him to take it to wal-mart. they have something on their key cutting machine that senses
a chip.i guess they do that because the people working there are not smart enough to tell.
ROTFL
You dont have to be the head cashier at walmart to figure that one out

#7 ·
I was going to say get a key made without the chip in it and have him give it a try. To spend $3-5 for a standard key and get $10000+ paid off from it would work for me.

#8 ·
You can try checking the manual.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/

Unfortunately, their server is having issues right now.
i showed him the manual....his repy was "my car is so crappy standard features arent standard" it was a 32K truck it an F150 XL with a 5.4 towing package extended cab 8ft bed(its longer than most buses to me!) so i dont think its striped but thanks for the link

#9 ·
Dude, your car is so PAID OFF! As stated above, any Ford key with the large black plastic housing has the PATS chip in it.

#10 ·
I got a copy of my focus key made at home depot, at first they refused to copy it because of the chip. After I explained that I didn't care about the chip, I just wanted to unlock my doors with it, they finally did it. They told me "Don't ever put that key in the ignition, it'll really screw up your car!"

So me being the curious person I am, I wanted to find out what really happens when you try to start the car w/o a PATs ID. Some have said the LED blinks a lot, some have said you are locked out for 5-10 minutes even if you do have a real PATs key. And according to the people at home depot, my car just might spontaneously combust. Anyway, the key they cut for me isn't long enough to fit in the ignition properly. It opens the doors fine though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.