Ford Focus Forum banner

whats the best protectant for aftermarket aluminum wheels?

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  d.bluefocus21 
#1 ·
is the wheel polish a good idea then waxing them with normal car wax? any suggestions?

#3 ·
Make sure your rims do not have a clear coat on them. If they do a metal polish will do nothing but damage the clear. A good way to check is to use a small amount of polish on the rim and look for a black residue to appear...if no residue appears, then they are clear coated and metal polish should NOT be used.

You might want to look into Clay barring your rims, then as ax0n said use a wax to give a nice coat of protection.

#5 ·
yeah I think they are clearcoated, because I used the polish before and now my clearcoat is flaking off.
can I get my wheels reclearcoated? and if so what kind of process should I use to do that?......btw thanks for the responses on the wheel cleaning.

#6 ·
If the towel you are using does not develop a black residue when polishing then you should immediately stop polishing.

Also, using a metal polish once or twice will not harm Clear Coat. Eventually you will do damage, but that is only after repeated use. I think your clear problem is the result of something else. Either your wheels finish is faulty, or you are using to harsh a cleaner. Using a strong wheel cleaner is not needed all of the time, I recommend the use of regular car wash soap and water unless extra cleaning power is needed. If for some reason you need super cleaning then use a clay bar (make sure not to use it on your paint after claying wheels.

#8 ·
No, wheel cleaners have their purpose. What I am saying is always try and clean the wheels using the mildest means possible. Generally, wheel cleaners are only for stubborn problems or wheels that have not been taken care of. With regular maintains it should only take a mild detergent like car wash soap and a brush.

Would you use the wheel cleaner on your paint? If your wheels are clear coated then it’s technically the same thing. Think about that...

#9 ·
ahhhh ok, I hear ya. I know this is a lil off subject, but people were telling me that glass cleaner is a great way to get that polished lip to shine real well. Is that true?.......on the other subject at hand I appreciate the info. that was a good example and now I plan on using mild stuff to clean my wheels

#10 ·
Glass cleaner won't hurt your paint but it won't be as good as soapy water, a wash mitt and a soft wheel brush. The polished lip is clearcoated as well, so waxing it after washing will make it shine.

#12 ·
if it's chipping off? Gotta have them re-painted I'd think.

If it's just dull and hazy now, claybar, rubbing compound, cleaner wax, glaze or polish, wax.

#13 ·
Agreed, if its already chipping off then it needs to be re-sprayed. If its just oxidation then look at what ax0n said.

#14 ·
its not the actual spokes or the inside of the wheel thats doing it, its just the polished lip itself. and its pretty much doing what paint would do if it had the wrong chemical on it and sat outside in the sun for long periods of time. : ( You all have an estimate on how much it would be to get the 4 polished lips clearcoated again?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.