Rear hub nut size?
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Tire Rack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rear hub nut size?

Me and my wife just moved down to VA from PA, and I left most of my tools at my dads house. I was going to change my rear brakes on my 01 focus SE and need to know what size the HUB NUT is. Help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    FocalJet.com
    Advertisements

Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off. ax0n's Avatar

Default Re: Rear hub nut size?

you don't need to pull the hub nut to do the rear brakes. You can just un-do the 4 bolts on the back and the whole spindle, bearing, and drum will come off. It's really a lot easier to do it this way if you're doing just the shoes and not replacing the whole drum.

This page shows the rear brake disassembly in quite a bit of detail:

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=48

TEAM Member

you don't need to pull the hub nut to do the rear brakes. You can just un-do the 4 bolts on the back and the whole spindle, bearing, and drum will come off. It's really a lot easier to do it this way if you're doing just the shoes and not replacing the whole drum.

Okay so I've messed up now. I looked for info after I did it. Could have saved some time and done it correctly but now I have to fix what I may have done.

I've already removed the rear axle nuts and inspected my brakes. I'm going to have to get some brake shoes but it's okay for a few more miles.

What's the correct torque for the axle nut and should I replace them. I had no problem with them. I just didn't know about the removable spindle. I'm just doing slow local driving for the rest of the week but I have to get on the highway again Friday.

Is removing the spindle really the Ford recommended procedure?

Louie.

Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off. ax0n's Avatar

Okay so I've messed up now. I looked for info after I did it. Could have saved some time and done it correctly but now I have to fix what I may have done.

I've already removed the rear axle nuts and inspected my brakes. I'm going to have to get some brake shoes but it's okay for a few more miles.

What's the correct torque for the axle nut and should I replace them. I had no problem with them. I just didn't know about the removable spindle. I'm just doing slow local driving for the rest of the week but I have to get on the highway again Friday.

Is removing the spindle really the Ford recommended procedure?

Louie.
    IT is in my CD-ROM service manual!

Unfortunately I don't have it here with me, it's at work, so I don't know what the torque spec is.

hub nut is 32mm and the torque spec is 173 ft/lbs

TEAM Member

hub nut is 32mm and the torque spec is 173 ft/lbs

173ft/lbs! It was no where near as tight as that when we took it off. My torque wrench won't even read that high.

The rear bearings were serviced as part of a recall last year(or the year before) so Seguin Ford must not have tightened them very much. Either that or they loosened up by themselves. I guess I'd better look for a torque wrench and tighten them up a little more.

The other question was are they re-usable. I have to take care of this quickly. Last Friday I had the car up to 120 mph on a twisty farm road trying out the new speed limiter.

Louie.

It's 29mm. I'm in the process of doing the rear brakes on my 2000 Focus SE and I tried the sockets I had. 29mm was what fit on mine. The proper procedure for removing the drums is to remove the spindle (there are 4 bolts behind the backing plate) and to disconnect the ABS wire from its connector.

I Lost My Toy in Atlanta! glowin3232's Avatar

I agree with the 29mm, that is definately the size I used to change my rear brakes. 32mm is too big.

The rear axle nuts are only recommended to be reused 3-4 times. I replaced mine with new nuts the last time I had them off because I had already taken them off once, and I have no clue how many times the previous owner of my car had the nuts off. New nuts were $8 a piece from my local Ford dealer parts department.

So the front and back are different sizes ? I just worked on my front and it is 32mm.

I Lost My Toy in Atlanta! glowin3232's Avatar

I guess that may be the case, I dont believe I have taken my front axle nuts off yet, so the fronts may be 32mm. My focus is a 2000 as well, what year is yours?

2001, I did the back brakes taking off the four bolts. I never touched the hub nut. * Anyone doing back brakes, take shock off. It's much easier working than working around it. I took the bottom off and should have removed the whole thing.
    Last edited by Terry1; Jul 23, 2008 at 11:07 AM.

TEAM Member

So, the winner is 29 MM for the rear spindle nut?

Senior TEAM Member sonicblu3zx3's Avatar

Are we sure the torque spec is 173 ft./lbs?
    JCM Racing #316

2005 Sonic Blue ZX3
    K&N Typhoon CAI, FS 2.25" exhaust, F2 V3 header, ST200 wheels with BFG G-Force Sports (215/45/17), SVT rear bumper, Ford Racing Dynamic Suspension Kit, Progress 22mm rear swaybar, FC strut bar, RS wing, Vent visors, rear seat delete kit, interior upgrades

TEAM Member

Just wanted to clear some things up for you:

Front Axle Nut - 32mm
    Rear Axle Nut - 29mm

Rear Axle Torque - 173 Lb/ft (yes, it gets cranked on).
    Front Axle Torque - I'm not sure, but it's up there too.

Ford states that you can re-use the axle nuts a couple of times before replacing. I typically do my rear brakes by removing the axle nut. My spindle nuts (the "proper" way) are rusted and rounded so I've always gone with the axle nut for removal. I don't think I've ever re-used the nuts more than once, but I've definitely re-used them without any problem.

Maybe it's better for the wheel bearing to remove the drum via the spindle bolts, but that seems like a bit of a stretch.
    2000 Twilight Blue ZX3
    2013 Performance Blue ST (CDN)

I am doing the rear brakes on my 2001 ZTS. I have the new brakes on and got new drums as well. The old drum looks to have a hard rubber washer on the back of the drum. The new drum does not. Do I need the hard rubber washer or just put the bare metal drum on?

Thanks,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast