Ford Focus Forum banner

Wheel Bearing Replacement

64K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  JPZX3 
#1 ·
Should I replace in pairs? Anyone estimate how many hours of labor?

#8 ·
Went to the shop to have it looked at - they said it was the left rear wheel bearing. The noise is still heard but faintly now.

Now my questions and concerns:

I had the rear drums replaced last summer - If im not mistaken the rear drum assembly that I bought seprately (not from the shop) came with the bearings inside. How can a bearing go out in less than a year?

I called ford seeing if I could have this replaced under the recall seeing that I only had the right wheel bearing replaced when i had the recall done. No luck there.

I'm going to take it back to the shop that did the work since I still do hear a noise. If they come back with something else is wrong im going to tell them to refund me for the wheel bearing - since that was not the problem.

The only thing I've done to the car recently is changed the power steering fluid. I did not take any hoses off or so on - just used a turkey baster to suck fluid out then replace it.

Please help - I feel as I've been had.

#9 ·
Rear wheel bearings on the focus are my biggest problem

I've had the rear wheel bearings replaced 3 times so far. I'd never had any problems until I went in for the recall.

Approximately 4 weeks after I got the wheel bearing replaced under the recall the right rear failed.

Approximately 10 months after I replaced the right rear the left rear failed.

I bought new hub nuts for when I replaced by rear brake shoes. One of the nuts came with a locking mechanism, but I was unable to use it because my spindle was not threaded. I think they put the locking mechanism on to try and prevent bearing failure, but I'd need to buy a new spindle to use it. I thought that's what I'd get when they did the recall. I suspect the dealership screwed me.

#12 ·
Re: Rear wheel bearings on the focus are my biggest problem

My front right just failed and I plan to replace it next weekend, anything I should know first?
People gotta stop hijackin' one -ok; but two?? Oh well
Who's hijacking? Here's your original post:

Should I replace in pairs? Anyone estimate how many hours of labor?
And the title of the thread is "Wheel Bearing Replacement", after all.

And first you said you were replacing the front bearing, then you said the dealership said one of your REAR bearings needs to be replaced. Every single post in this thread has been about wheel bearings, so I don't see what the problem is.

So anyway...

As TXFO already said, the rear bearings need to be pressed in. As I recall, he's had first-hand experience in the past with a cracked drum because pressing in the bearing without damaging the drum is a big PITA.

As for swapping bearings in pairs, I see no reason to do so. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have no idea how long it should take to swap the bearings.

For the front, I'd just get a new knuckle from FC - they're really cheap.

Bill - I'll look it up on my CD, since I'm not sure what all is entailed in swapping just the bearing in the front.

#13 ·

Well, for the sake of closure, I figured I'd update this thread. Yesterday I helped Bill (bluebyutoo) replace one of his front bearings, and it was a pretty big PITA. It looks like the actual bearing replacement will be similar for the front and rear, but the preliminary steps should be simpler for the rear bearings, as it's much easier to remove the rear drum than to remove the knuckle at the front.

Here's a summary of the rear bearing replacement procedure from my Ford service CD:

Remove the dust cap.
Remove the retaining nut.
Remove the hub, being careful not to damage the wheel speed sensor ring.

Remove and discard the ABS sensor ring.
Remove the circlip
Use a drift to press out the bearing

Support the drum so the wheel studs are off the surface
Use special tool 307-210 (17-041) to install the new bearing
Install the circlip.
Install a new ABS ring.
Install the brake drum.

For both the front and rear bearings, my Ford CD makes no mention of a press. Instead, it says to use a drift to remove the old bearings and to install the new ones. In practice, that sounds like a huge PITA, especially for the removal. To remove Bill's old bearing, we made use of a 20-ton press, an oxy-acetylene torch, and an air chisel, among other tools. Installation was a piece of cake by comparison, but you'll still want to use a press if at all possible.

#14 ·

so is there a recall for the rear drum bearing? what state r u guys in? cause im having the driver side rear go on me and the passanger rear went months ago...they didnt mention a recall and i had to deal with the ish myself...just bought new drum n new bearing's an shaft...my tire almost fell of while i was speedin on the h-way...bearig completely melted and fell apart!!! anyway...curious about the recall cause ive checked the recall site and the dealer said nothing about it...

#15 ·

yes there is a recall on the rear hub bearings, I had both of mine replaced, the same thing happend to me on the highway, I thought I had a flat at first, but when I checked it out I realized it was the wheel bearing.

#16 ·

Well, for the sake of closure, I figured I'd update this thread. Yesterday I helped Bill (bluebyutoo) replace one of his front bearings, and it was a pretty big PITA. It looks like the actual bearing replacement will be similar for the front and rear, but the preliminary steps should be simpler for the rear bearings, as it's much easier to remove the rear drum than to remove the knuckle at the front.

Here's a summary of the rear bearing replacement procedure from my Ford service CD:

Remove the dust cap.
Remove the retaining nut.
Remove the hub, being careful not to damage the wheel speed sensor ring.

Remove and discard the <font color="red"> ABS sensor ring.</font>
Remove the circlip
Use a drift to press out the bearing

Support the drum so the wheel studs are off the surface
Use special tool 307-210 (17-041) to install the new bearing
Install the circlip.
Install a new ABS ring.
Install the brake drum.

For both the front and rear bearings, my Ford CD makes no mention of a press. Instead, it says to use a drift to remove the old bearings and to install the new ones. In practice, that sounds like a huge PITA, especially for the removal. To remove Bill's old bearing, we made use of a 20-ton press, an oxy-acetylene torch, and an air chisel, among other tools. Installation was a piece of cake by comparison, but you'll still want to use a press if at all possible.

Does anyone have a part # for the ABS Sensor ring? Ford said its $40!!!
I think the parts guy is looking at the Speed Sensor ring.

I want to make sure its the right part, and also...

Do we HAVE to replace the ABS sensor right when we do the rear bearings if it is $40? Cuz, that just got expensive.

Thanks!

#18 ·
When my car was on the rack for an alignment, the back wheels wobble from top to bottom.

#19 ·

bump

#20 ·

Does anyone have a part # for the ABS Sensor ring? Ford said its $40!!! I think the parts guy is looking at the Speed Sensor ring
Yes, the sensor ring is around $35-$40 each. But if you buy the wheel bearing recall kit for ABS ($60), it will include two. The kit includes bearings, seals, ABS rings, and dust caps, which is a bargain. These kits are priced low because Ford needs to replace them for recall/warranty very often.
I did this project myself, and only needed a shop to press out the old and press in the new bearings.
Yes, you need a press.

#21 ·

Remove and discard the <font color="red"> ABS sensor ring.</font>

Does anyone have a part # for the ABS Sensor ring? Ford said its $40!!!
I think the parts guy is looking at the Speed Sensor ring.

I want to make sure its the right part, and also...

Do we HAVE to replace the ABS sensor right when we do the rear bearings if it is $40? Cuz, that just got expensive.

Thanks!
Hmm, not sure if you absolutely MUST replace the ABS ring. But it would sure suck if you got it all back together and the ABS was messed up. I suppose if you can remove the ring without damaging it, and it's in okay shape, you could re-use it.

For parts, I suggest Steve at Tousley (FORDSVTPARTS). He'll be able to make sure you're getting the right part (the online parts databases are wrong sometimes).

I'm a big believer in replacing the entire assembly, rather than just the bearings. Bill's bearing failed within a few weeks, presumably because the hub had been damaged by the first failed bearing. If you're having somebody else do the work, and they'll guarantee it for at least 90 days, then maybe I'd switch just the bearing. But for DIY purposes, it might actually be cheaper in the long run to get a whole new hub (and it will definitely be EASIER!)

#22 ·

Does anyone have a part # for the ABS Sensor ring? Ford said its $40!!! I think the parts guy is looking at the Speed Sensor ring
Yes, the sensor ring is around $35-$40 each. But if you buy the wheel bearing recall kit for ABS ($60), it will include two. The kit includes bearings, seals, ABS rings, and dust caps, which is a bargain. These kits are priced low because Ford needs to replace them for recall/warranty very often.
I did this project myself, and only needed a shop to press out the old and press in the new bearings.
Yes, you need a press.
Well, down here, in houston anyway, the kit only comes with ONE SET!!! So that goes to 130+wtax...instead, found the bearings for 30 bucks each, and someone to press them. Total was 150 w/labor...much cheaper

Thanks all for input.

#24 ·
thanks for pulling this up, I have to do my rear wheel bearing, but just curious where I would find out if my car covered in the recall? says above that the rear wheel bearings were recalled...

#25 ·
Called the dealer, ran the VIN, not covered. Thats funny cuz someone above said it covered 2000 and 01. I have a 2000 zx3 manual w/rear drum nonABS. Wonder if that is a mistake on Fords behalf....or how to check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.