Ford Focus Forum banner

"Check Fuel Cap" MIL - Code P0455 EVAP Leak - CEL

29K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  pitskalov 
#1 ·
\"Check Fuel Cap\" MIL - Code P0455 EVAP Leak - CEL

The "check cap" light came on a long trip. I checked the cap, reset the MIL. Everything fine for the next 500 miles, then CEL comes on. Diagnostic shows P0455, but no driveability issues.

Reset CEL. No warning lights next 500 miles.

"check cap" MIL comes back on - no CEL.

Seem like a strange situation for a "gross EVAP leak" (0455) to be an intermittent issue. Seems like the fuel cap and CEL issues are likely related. I've had the fuel pump recall performed on the car.

Any theories?

#2 ·
Re: \"Check Fuel Cap\" MIL - Code P0455 EVAP Leak - CEL

Bad Fuel cap. No sealing properly? Just a thought.

#3 ·

I had a similar situation with my car. It was under warranty so I took it to the dealer. First dealer told me it was "critter damage" to one of the evap lines and it was going to cost ME $$$ to fix it. I said no thanks and went on my way. Second dealer fixed it without even a question.

#4 ·

From what I've read, it doesn't take much of a leak to get the EVAP system's panties in a bunch. It is weird that you've got the "big leak" code, rather than the small leak DTC (P0456). Maybe you have a small slit in one of the lines, and it opens up under the right conditions.

Whatever the cause, there's no practical DIY leak-finding method that I know of, but a pro shouldn't charge much to find the leak for you (they'll probably use a smoke machine). Once the leak is found, you can save a few bucks by fixing it yourself, if you want to.

#5 ·

From what I've read, it doesn't take much of a leak to get the EVAP system's panties in a bunch. It is weird that you've got the "big leak" code, rather than the small leak DTC (P0456). Maybe you have a small slit in one of the lines, and it opens up under the right conditions.

Whatever the cause, there's no practical DIY leak-finding method that I know of, but a pro shouldn't charge much to find the leak for you (they'll probably use a smoke machine). Once the leak is found, you can save a few bucks by fixing it yourself, if you want to.
No kidding. My g/f had her A4 in at the dealer for an evap leak for two days. She had to take it in twice because they "ran out of smoke" on the first day. I don't think its even an easy job for trained professional. Especially if its a small leak that opens up under heat or some other specific condition.

FWIW - It cost me $80 to have my car diagnosed the first time because they claimed that the "critter damage" wasn't covered under warranty.

#6 ·

I had this issue twice and both times the host that connects to the evap canister had mysteriously been disconnected. I simply plugged it back in and recent computer. I had the same error codes and lights. It's at the back of the engine bay closer to the passenger side. See if there's a small hose disconnected on the right hand side of the canister.

#7 ·

I had this issue twice and both times the host that connects to the evap canister had mysteriously been disconnected. I simply plugged it back in and recent computer. I had the same error codes and lights. It's at the back of the engine bay closer to the passenger side. See if there's a small hose disconnected on the right hand side of the canister.
Same thing happened to me. No idea how it came off however. You live in sommerville? I live in waltham was looking at a place in sommerville ended up going downtown instead.

#8 ·
Re: "Check Fuel Cap" MIL - Code P0455 EVAP Leak - CEL

My check engine light came on only 3 days after I bought my Nissan Sentra 2004 (1.8L) 82000km. After I checked the code it says: 0455 Evaporation Emission Control System, large leak.
What does it mean precisely?
I also observed a large gas consummation not normal for an economic car. Is it normal or I'm just freaking out?
I called Nissan dealer and they say it's not under the 5 (or 100000km) years warranty.
Is it expensive to fix it and how important the problem is?

#9 ·
Re: "Check Fuel Cap" MIL - Code P0455 EVAP Leak - CEL

pitskalov said:
My check engine light came on only 3 days after I bought my Nissan Sentra 2004 (1.8L) 82000km. After I checked the code it says: 0455 Evaporation Emission Control System, large leak.
What does it mean precisely?
I also observed a large gas consummation not normal for an economic car. Is it normal or I'm just freaking out?
I called Nissan dealer and they say it's not under the 5 (or 100000km) years warranty.
Is it expensive to fix it and how important the problem is?
Welcome to Focaljet. This is a Ford Focus forum. Unfortunately, anything posted here mostly pertains to a Ford Focus.

In general though, any codes are meant as a possible problem area. By that, I mean a code may say "Evaporation Emission Control System - Large Leak", but a qualified technician has to be able to go through the various diagnostic steps to determine the cause of the large leak. It may be one major part. It may be a few parts not working well together. The system may have failed entirely. Or, it could be just a loose wire.

Since you're listing km's, I'm assuming you're in Canada. I'd look over the warranty booklet (available at the Nissan Canada website if it's not with your owner's manual). From what I gather, most of the emissions control system is only warrantied for 3 years/60,000 km. Evaporative emissions appears to be part of that coverage. The 5 yrs/100,000 km warranty is only for your powertrain and air bag system.

As for fixing the problem, you always have the option of taking it back to a Nissan dealership, a repair chain or independent shop. Most places will charge you a flat diagnostic fee (ranges from $60 to $120, depending on where you go). From there, you'll get a quote on the repair.

Thing is, you posted that you just bought your vehicle 3 days ago. If you bought it from a used car dealership or even from a dealership, most places already offer some sort of used-car warranty. If you bought the car as-is or privately, you will be out of pocket for expenses.

Best of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.