Ford Focus Forum banner

Vapor Management Valve?

14K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Dudley 
#1 ·
Story:

I was driving yesterday to school to get my transcript, on the way my CEL came on...fearing what could happen. I quickly took the upcoming exit and reversed my course towards my Ford Dealer.

I just fixed my car before August 28th. I had an ongoing problem with studdering and stalling (Autotragic). I found that my wires that connect to my MAF sensor were melted on the EGR tube. Fixed that and my car has been running great ever since!

Back to the story. I took it to Ford, they had it yesterday. They called me and said its somewhere near the fuel cap. They asked where my key was. (i have a locking fuel cap).

I just got a call from them saying it's the Vapor Management Valve that's gone bad....

I asked if I put the stock gas cap back on would it make a difference? He said no.

$202 bucks to get it fixed, I asked if it would be a problem just to drive my car home and not have the repair done. He doesn't know.

I'm picking it up anyway. I'd rather do it myself than have stinkin Ford to do it.

Anyone know what the hell the Vapor Management Valve is and if this is just caused by my locking gas cap from Autozone?

He said, gas vapor is leaking into the atmosphere blah blah blah.

See less See more
#3 ·
but do you think i'll have a problem just driving it around like that. I'm leaving for school in two weeks and i'm not taking the Focus. It's going to be garaged.

This thing?

#5 ·
Leaving it parked, un-fixed, won't do any damage to the car - you'll just be emitting some extra fuel vapors.

I'd put the OEM gas cap back on just to be sure that's not where the leak was. If you still get the code, then replacing the VMV should be pretty simple from the looks of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.