Ford Focus Forum banner

Brake dust stains on rims? how to clean?

11K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Housoft 
#1 ·
I got my rims used. and the guy before me didnt keep them very clean.

so i have some stains from brake dust and what not.

should i just have at it with some elbow grease and some heavy rubbing compound on the stained parts?

Allt he stained parts are brushed aluminum so, yeah?

what you think?

Brent

#2 ·
Try this first:

With wheels off the car and laying on a surface that won't damage them, use Eagle One Wheel/Tire cleaner (silver spray bottle, it's the "new" E1 A2Z Wheel/Tire Cleaner, but it isn't called A2Z) and a wheel spoke brush. The wheel spoke brush usually has soft bristles. Rinse each one as soon as you're done brushing on it. The wheel cleaner is NASTY if you let it tit on the wheel for long.

That will likely get a lot of it off, next, do E1 Wheel cleaner on a corner of terrycloth and rub the stains with your finger, or large stained areas inside the wheel with your whole hand. Again, don't let the stuff dry on the wheel. You may want to use latex gloves for this, as the wheel cleaner can irritate some peoples' skin.

If that doesn't get it all off, finish off by doing the same trick, a corner of the terrycloth, with a cleaner wax. I've had good luck with mother's cleaner wax that comes with their claybars.

I've had some bad brake dust stains in my day. You may skip the hand application of wheel cleaner and go straight to cleaner wax, but you'll use a lot of cleaner wax. If cleaner wax doesn't do it, then you guessed correctly, step it up to rubbing compound.

#4 ·
wax it.. like they said.. its good .. plus it will make it less likely for the brake dust to stick to the wheels... if you continue having probelms w/ dirty rims... just get new pads that offer less dust .. i bought the halk pads from tirerack and they dont have half as much dust as the stock pads.. it may seem like a lot for just brake dust, but youll be happy when you dont have to clean them evey 2-3 days b/c of brake dust

#5 ·
wax it.. like they said.. its good .. plus it will make it less likely for the brake dust to stick to the wheels... if you continue having probelms w/ dirty rims... just get new pads that offer less dust .. i bought the halk pads from tirerack and they dont have half as much dust as the stock pads.. it may seem like a lot for just brake dust, but youll be happy when you dont have to clean them evey 2-3 days b/c of brake dust
Yep... What he said... Always keep a good coat of wax on them. It doesn't even need to be cleaner wax (matter of fact, I'd recommend NOT using cleaner wax unless they're stained), I use the Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax (same as I use on my paint) for the wheels. I pretty much re-wax them every 2-4 car washes. It makes the brake dust wipe right off with nothing more than a terrycloth. I usually wipe them off with a dry terry before I wash the car. Then a soapy hand mitt (one I use only for wheels) will clean them off perfectly.

#7 ·
new stuff i tried and loved it for ease and perfection

SuperPurple wheel cleaner...just came out, and literally spray on wash off...NO STAINS

great stuff

-chris
x2. If I am thinking the same stuff it smells horrible though. One bottle only did my 17x7s (whole wheel while they are off the car) and 2 of my 16s (only the front, while they were on the car). This stuff worked wonders, but I would only use it if I have stains, for regular cleaning I just use a wheel specific mitt while I'm washing the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.