Ford Focus Forum banner

Loss of power / hesitation

70K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Brina 
#1 ·
'01 Focus ZTS. I have seen a couple of posts here that talk about some studdering and hesitation. I have already been through the DPFE replacement stuff as I had the slight studdering at one time. A bigger problem that I encounter from time to time is a huge loss of power. It seems to happen after the car has been driven around pretty hard. The symptoms are that I just lose power to the point that I can not get going over 10-20 mph. If I pull over it might die..it might not. It seems to be idling ok but if I try to take off I once again have no power. The next day everything is usually ok. I have also had it clear up if I put fuel in the tank. Does this sound like the fuel pump problem I have read about here or something else? Any help would be appreciated. Also, if it is the fuel pump problem is the 01 Focus covered by the same extended warranty that someone said the 00 is covered by? And if it is what do you have to prove to the dealer to get it replaced?

Thanks in advance!
Greg

#4 ·
It should be covered. Take it to the dealer to be sure. If you bought it new take it to the dealer you purchased it from, they will be more likely to fix free (or discounted) if it is not covered. Make sure to replace the fuel filter (ahead of tank) as long as they are in there.

btw if you do it yourself (or with help from a friend), I think the pump assy. runs about $200. It's been awhile since I did mine though.

#5 ·
I had the same symptoms in my 2000 se sedan spi. It turned out to be my PCV valve was plugged up,I cleaned it out and it ran like new.I replaced it with a new one anyhow ,About $8.00 at the dealership only.Good Luck.(located on rear drivers side of valve cover on my car.)

#6 ·
I have this problem in July, 2005. And I went to the local Ford dealershop to check out my car, and then the dealer took me to have a road test and then they do some research on my 2001 Ford Focus. The Ford dealer told me that I might need to change my fuel pump, and the 2001 Ford Focus recall that I can change my fuel pump for sure, but he recommend me to change my fuel filter at the same time, it will cost me 50$. But they won't charge me for fuel pump, because it has 10 years extended warranty. Which is pretty good. :thumbup:

I am going to replace them all tomorrow. If you have question about your car, which your vehicles may experience engine hesitation, loss of power, surging, and other similar symptoms as a result of contamination of the fuel pump filters. This program extends the coverage of the fuel delivery module (FDM) to 10 years from the original warranty start date of the vehicle. There are some info below, please check it out.

Good luck! :thumbup:

2001 Ford Focus Recalls

Safety is an important consideration when buying a car. AutoBuyGuide.com is dedicated to providing you with all of the safety and 2001 Ford Focus recall information you need to keep your family safe. Search our catalog of official 2001 Ford Focus recalls to view all car defects and reports for all submodels. Is your car safe? Check the current 2001 Ford Focus recalls listed at AutoBuyGuide.com for your vehicle to find out.

2001 Ford FOCUS Recall ID from NHTSA: 03V482000
Auto Recall Date: 11/19/2003
Vehicle Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
Estimated Vehicles Affected: 671000
2001 FORD FOCUS Defect Summary:
ON CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES, CONTAMINATION OF THE FILTER IN THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE (FDM) CAN REDUCE, AND EVENTUALLY BLOCK, THE FLOW OF FUEL TO THE ENGINE.
Defect Consequence:
THIS MAY CAUSE ENGINE HESITATION, LOSS OF POWER, SURGING, AND OTHER SIMILAR SYMPTOMS. OVER TIME, THE FILTER MAY BECOME SUFFICIENTLY BLOCKED TO CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL, WHICH COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
Remedy:
THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. ALL OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE PROBLEM, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FDM WITH A NEW DESIGN AT NO CHARGE IF THE OWNER REPORTS THAT THE VEHICLE EXHIBITS ANY OF THE IDENTIFIED SYMPTOMS. THE FREE REPLACEMENT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF 10 YEARS FOLLOWING THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE OF THE VEHICLE, WITH NO MILEAGE LIMIT. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING NOVEMBER 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.
Notes: FORD MOTOR COMPANY, 03N01

#7 ·
The above answers are all good and most likely to be correct.....

How ever, let me tell you about watt happened to my 2002 ZX5....Its actually my wifes car.....

She was driving the car and everything she said was normal. Until she came up to a bridge. All of a sudden she said it would go over 10-15 MPH....

I ended up picking up a trailer and having it picked up. The car in park would accel great but, once in gear it would get out of its way.....

Since I had the trailer and was about an hour away from Home. I just put it up on the trailer and brought it Home.

As I was asking my wife some questions, it came to me that it might be the catalytic converter clogged up....The symptoms were there, the smell of rotten egg was there and also the loss of power.....

At Home I removed the cat and took it for a drive. Sure enough, that was the problem with her car....Just my .02

Allcruisen

#9 ·
I have the same problem at idle, (car stumbles, vibrates, shakes) no checking light present, I have replaced the following;
fuel filter, spark plugs, spark cables, spark coil pack, pcv valve, pcv hose, the main pcv house from intake to front of engine, all three mounts been replaced, cleaned air mass & idle control valve. I have used several cans of carb cleaner for leaks, I have performed a smoke test (did find a small leak at the back of the intake on the empty opening next to three hoses) fixed that, no luck.
I have performed test on the dpfe sensor, egr valve, they seem to be working correctly. I have check harness at coil pack & seems ok, I will remove that throttle body and change the gasket and clean it>>>>
please let me know if there is something else that I am missing...:dunno:

:confused:
thank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.