Ford Focus Forum banner

PCV Valve question again - ZETEC

12K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  G1-Focus 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 Focus ZX3 with the Zetec engine. I'm trying to figure out how to replace the pcv valve. I know where it is (under the head near the front next to the exhaust manifold area), but I can't for the life of me budge the thing! It seems as though the "hose" the is attached to the top of it is really a hard plastic pipe, and not a rubber hose that is flexible. I can't tell but it almost acts like this pipe is fastened to the block somewhere. Has anyone got an idea? I pull on the valve and it just does not want to move. By the way I have 130,000 on the car and would really like to get the puppy changed (I do not have any engine troubles though, no stumbling or hesitation, etc, just want to replace it cause it looks old)

I've searched the forum before and while they show nicely where the valve is and how to remove it, it really does not seem to be the way as described for my car...

Thanks!

-niko

#7 ·
c4uldr0n said:
no, I just pull on mine and it will come out.

Same here.

#11 ·
I replaced mine the other day, and even with my race header in place it was a tight fit for even my slender hands. ;)

Seriously, you just have to pull the hell out of it to get it out of there, it's really wedged into the oil separator and the tube connection is really tight as well. Just pull!

#12 ·
I have removed my ZX3's (Zetec) PCV from the top a few times and it is tight, even with small hands. When I was changing the oil, I saw how it is much much easier to do from under the car. You just reach up, pull the PCV out of the oil separator box and then remove it from the hose. Mine ends in rubber. Definitely try it this way, way easier.

I pulled mine as I had a valve cover leak that tightening it a bit solved but checked the crakcase filter and the PCV. It looked clean and sucked up carb cleaner but I bought a new Purolator (PV250A) one, as mine has 65K on it. The spring seemed strong though. Anyway, the original PCV has all these small holes around the bottom and you can blow back through it almost weas easy as the other way. Normally a PCV is a one way check valve. The Purolator one looks more like most with just one hole in the bottom and flows one way. The car runs no different with the new one. There must be a reason for those holes though. I imagine the dealer has that type.

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.