Ford Focus Forum banner

Slow car, Slow driver, Fast track

8K views 38 replies 11 participants last post by  tallguy2.3 
#1 · (Edited)
Here is the first JF07 video. Constructive critisizm and advice definately taken. Videos make it look so different...and much less perfect :lol:

photobucket cut the 20 minute session down to 5 minutes, so if/when I figure out how to get the rest of it posted, just keep watching this one. Oh, and if you don't like wind noise, turn your speakers off :thumbup:

EDIT: Update with Video,2, 3, and 4 (all the same session)...with less SI Jefe

See less See more
#27 · (Edited)
BUR_ZX3 said:
When in doubt... you ALWAYS pass offline.
Yes, but the HPDE 1/2 instructor told us to pass offline of the NEXT turn, rather than the turn we were coming out of. On 2 of the 3 infield straights those aren't the same side. And when this is the first day on that track that extra thought was difficult for both drivers involved. With a stock zetec, I couldn't hesitate or get held up at all when it came to passing, or the passee would think I didn't take it, or he'd just never lift off the throttle enough and not give me a chance even though they pointed me by. :screwy: And then I'm worrying about passing the guy in front of me, and not looking to see if people want to pass me, so I didn't give a lot of point-by's :eek:

Anyway, by Sunday the passing had been sorted out since we were more comfortable with the track. But I have lots of video from Saturday of following one car for 2+ laps. :rolleyes:

#28 ·
tallguy2.3 said:
If I was you I would just be more aggressive. You have to be tenacious and competitive. Work on braking a little later, accelerating smooth but hard and really pushing it in the turns, to the point of being right on the edge.

Smoothness + Aggressiveness= good driving to me, but they are hard to do together, lol

Also, you werent going out all the way to the outside before turning into 9, that will help you a lot to use all of the track you can.
My first few sessions, I was turning in way too late into 9, so my instructor had me turn in a bit earlier. After that, I was concentrating on turning in earlier, and not going all the way to the outside after 8. I realized that too. That is a tough turn to get perfect.

And I agree...When I raced in the LeMons race last year, I took it really easy on the car my first session. I could never really feel the groove, I could never get a good rhythm, and I was letting a lot of cars by (I would be offline). My second time out, after everybody got a chance to drive the car again, I let it all hang out. I was passing more cars than were passing me, and that was with 62 hp :lol: I definately drive better when I am more aggressive. I promised mommy I wouldn't put my car into the wall though :lol: :lol: :lol:

#35 ·
tallguy2.3 said:
Wouldnt the file be massive?
What is your addy? You can PM me if you want.

I have all of my 8th session-19MB
Broken down like in 1st post-5.5, 5.3, 5.5, and 2.5 MB

#36 ·
OmniFocus said:
Wow, I missed this.

The answer, of course, is yes. :D
You already know I don't bring crappy beer. We will talk regarding details :evilgrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.