Ford Focus Forum banner

How to replace alternator 03 2.0L SOHC

25K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Jbirdag96 
#1 ·
I'm poor and need to replace this thing. How hard is it as I am car stupid?

If anyone can post pictures or explain it that would be great. A ford lot in FL told me 700.00. I found an alternator for 180 at autozone.

#5 ·
#8 ·
Thanks for the help from the previous postings.I just finished one.I told my neighbor that it would take me about 3 hrs.It took me 5 instead.I should have taken the 3 bolts holding the p-side moter mount out earlier.This did work.It was still very tight getting it out from the top.I lifted the engine about 2 inches and also pulled it forward about an inch.I wraped a "climbing cable"(rope will work)around the ac compresor pully and hooked it to a come-along to pull it forward.I still even had to bend the tab down that the ground strap bolts to,to get more clearance.Hope this helps.

#10 ·
You are not alone. I am poor and replacing mine tomorrow in my Zx5. This is my 4th in it's 96,000 mile life. But this is the first time I'm doing it myself. On a quick note, buy the new rebuilt from auto zone. 3 of my rebuilds have failed. Think the shop that rebuilt them were drinking their lunch.

#12 ·
I've read the thread that was linked ealier in this one. However, I'm getting the impression they are talking about a different engine setup than what I have. I drive a 2003 Ford Focus. It has a 2.0L SPI engine. The alternator needs replacing and I've gotten 2 quotes from local mechanics of 125 to 150 if I bring in an alternator ($175ish). Wanting to avoid those charges I'm really hoping I can get this done myself. It appears all I'd have to remove is a radiator hose, 2 alternator bolts, and the electrical connections to get it out. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.