Ford Focus Forum banner

Maintaining Flat Black Paint

15K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  bigdaddyG8 
#1 ·
If painting a vehicle flat black, would the maintainence of that paint be the same as a basecoat-clearcoat paintjob?

I'm assuming not, but don't know for sure, and don't know what would be different about it.

Any help? Actual real-world experience preferred. :lol:

#6 ·
They make satin clearcoat, that's how the ratrod guys get that "suede" look. As far as maintenance, I think the normal wash and wax is good but I would ask a body and paint guy. If it's rattlecan, just use good paint and keep it out of the sun as much as possible. A good quality outdoor paint with a nice wetsand should not need any real maintenance.

#18 ·
If your going the base clear route, then yeah I would take care of it like a normal paint job. Good luck with your project.

#19 ·
If you wanna flat black it check out Dupont, they make a Hot Hues color in Flat Black. However waxing it will give it more shine...just give it a good cleaning and a wipe with a shammy. If I can find pics of my old Focus i will post them, I did the primer can job, and it looked pretty good...i just gotta find the pics.

#20 ·
You can not wax a flat finish car nor can you even wetsand or buff it. just wash and dry that is all. mine is over a year old using single stage tractor paint and is holding up great no fading or chaulking like primer will do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.