Ford Focus Forum banner

Fuel filter location?

16K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Ray 
#1 ·
I'm sort of ashamed to even need to ask this, but having never owned a fuel-injected vehicle before, I have only a really rough idea of where to look... Can anyone tell me where the fuel filter is located on a 2001 Focus ZX3? I'm confident that I can replace it myself, but I first need to find the darn thing. Thanks.

#2 ·
Welcome!

No need to feel ashamed in the question. There is no doubt someone here is thinking the same thing.

Here are some links that should help you on your way:

http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/fuelfilter.htm

http://forums.focaljet.com/team-tech/422115-fuel-filter-replacement.html?highlight=fuel+filter

EDIT: If you're new to the whole maintenance issue for a fuel-injected vehicle, it's also a great idea to pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual for some basic references, and have a healthy dose of FocalJet for the bits in between :)

#3 ·
Ah, I didn't even notice that the diagram on myFordFocus.com had arrows pointing to where the parts go. So it's just forward of the fuel tank, underneath the car? I'll get to it tomorrow, hopefully it fixes my problem and I don't have to replace the pump; I just got the car about three weeks ago. Today I was going uphill in 2nd gear, flooring it, and slowing down, pretty unnerving. :(

#4 ·
Unfortunately, it's a problem that quite a few have had.

Since you're up, you may want to have a go at our Team Tech section. If you search that section, you will find many possible causes (such as clogged fuel filter, fuel pump, clogged injectors, etc.). Usually, people with fuel pump problems have their vehicles stall during hard cornering or driving.

Now, the other question I have is are you the original owner? If so, you may want to find out whether you were part of an extended warranty that covered the fuel pump on selected 2000 and 2001 model years. That warranty was very specific in the vehicles it covered because it went on production date. That being said, the warranty only covers one replacement (so, if you have bought this car used and it already had a fuel pump replaced, then you'd be on the hook for the cost).

My recommendation is if you're inclinded to do so, replace the fuel filter like you planned. After that, if you're still having problems, then start looking into the issue and/or get it checked out by a dealership or independent shop.

And as always, ask away any questions you have.

#5 ·
I changed my fuel filter a few months ago and when I did, I cleaned all the gas off the ends of it and tried to blow through it and couldnt even get air to go through it at all...was close to being clogged. Since then I hav e noticed approximately a 2 mpg gain and slightly better throttle response. FYI, Its kind of tight getting up in there to get the bolt off. I recommend a long extension to get up in there.

#6 ·
Well, I replaced it, and on the short test drive I took (didn't have much room here to open it up) it pulled to 6k no problem!

Had a little scare when after trying to prime the pump for a while, we disconnected the battery, and some little 18-gauge ground wire (black with brown stripe) broke off the negative terminal of the battery clamp. This allowed the car to go to accessory mode, but the odometer showed up as all dashes, the headlights wouldn't turn on, the wipers wouldn't move, and most importantly the car wouldn't start.

It threw a couple DTC codes, 3918 and d262, which I guess are "battery too low" and some kind of anti-theft code, respectively. Hooked that thing back up and it sprang to life immediately. I'll get some pics tonight to show what I'm talking about, but I'm glad I'm back on the road. It feels like a totally different car. The stuff that came out of the old filter was naaasty; I'm kind of wanting to split it open to see what it looks like. :D Is there a date code or something on it? It's a Motorcraft filter, and I almost wouldn't be surprised if it's only the first or second filter it's had in 100k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.