Ford Focus Forum banner

dirty maf sensor cause..??

9K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  Qwik1 
#1 ·
i cannot figure out what the hell is going on with my car..
thought it was vaccum leak that causes car dies when stop in sudden..
but turned out t be it is not vacuum leak..

i haven't cleaned maf sensor at all..my car is 2000..and bought around 2002..
would this cause engine dies??
searched around and it can caue car run rich, and stall out or whatever..

or old transmission can cause this as well??

#2 ·
Are you using a K&N or similar type of oiled filter? That's usually a main cause for dirty MAFs.

Otherwise, have you done the usual bits of maintenance like plugs, plug wires, etc.?

#3 ·
yeah aftermarket filter that requires to spray oil..
i will have to take maf sensor out and clean it..

#5 ·
focusonfocus said:
yeah aftermarket filter that requires to spray oil..
i will have to take maf sensor out and clean it..
Just make sure when you do clean and re-oil your filter that you don't overdo it.

#7 ·
cleaned maf sensor..it wasn;t even dirty at all..
and alternator..tested and voltage shows good..perfectly normal..

i guess trransmission is the problem..trans fluid is leaking slow but not much..
i am getting new transmission soon..so hope this help my situation..

#10 ·
i don't think ground problem..it was like this before and have done battery relocation and added more wires like BIG 3 except power wire goes btw alternator to battery.

mine is atx sadly..
plus to what i described earlier about sudden stop thing, also when i stop on downhill and shift to reverse and car dies..unless i step on brake and gas pedal as well..

i guess it is time for new transmission??

#13 ·
Hold on. Lets back up a minute.
First off, a bad trans will never cause any car to die at idle. EVER. You will have completely different symptoms such as the car revving to redline but not moving.
Second, have you checked the wiring harness that plugs into the MAF sensor? Mine acted the same when I had a cold air intake on mine because the location of the MAF caused the wires to chafe causing one of the wires to break. Check them carefully.

#15 ·
v8FociDreams said:
Hold on. Lets back up a minute.
First off, a bad trans will never cause any car to die at idle. EVER. You will have completely different symptoms such as the car revving to redline but not moving.
Second, have you checked the wiring harness that plugs into the MAF sensor? Mine acted the same when I had a cold air intake on mine because the location of the MAF caused the wires to chafe causing one of the wires to break. Check them carefully.
A bad trans can cause the engine to stall when stop suddenly.... low transmission fluid can also cause this, it does not necessarily trigger the CEL to come off.

i agree that an erroneous MAF reading can sometimes cause the engine to die at idle, most of the time you can't even drive your car coz it will stumble, stall and die but if it really is the wiring harness, why is the CEL not on? if it is an exception, error or something then the diagnostic is somewhat easy and quick, you don't really have to go to the stealer to give away your money.:) Simply unplug the MAF from the system, CEL will come off.. thats natural, your engine should not have any problem idling at all. i hope it helps.

#17 ·
ladybuf said:
:bang: :bang: :bang: umm, sorry, but have you ever tried runnin w/o a maf? doesnt work sorry, you have to meter airflow in, or car will die. try it some time and tell me exactly what happens.....
Umm, sorry, but I have. A friend told me the same thing. I proved him wrong very easily. I did unplug my MAF, then I drove my friend around town, including some highway time, for about half an hour. CEL came on after just a couple of minutes. Car ran OK, not great though. Plugged it back in and watched the CEL disappear after a few minutes. Of course it ran better with it plugged in, but nothing major happened without it.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.