Ford Focus Forum banner

Question about a two way stop

12K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Giveen 
#1 ·
Ok, Since i just read that story about traffic laws. I was wondering. I been driving for almost 5 years now and still dont know. When your at a two way stop who has the right away. Say car #1 gets at the stop sign first. Car number 2# gets to the stop second. Car one wants to take a left turn and car 2 is going straight. Who has the right away? I been a 2 way stops and seen it work both ways and almost been hit in both cases. I see many cases on LSU campus where basically everybody just alternates so It basically goes to who gets to the sign first but I almost been hit making the left even though I got there first.

#4 ·
Thats what I thought. But at my school you would wait forever to take left. I guess I have to be really carefull now. Heres another scenario. Say you get to stop sign and make a left hand turn. But the guy across that is going straight doesnt come to a complete stop at stop sign and goes straight and hits you. Its his fault right?

#5 ·
BUR_ZX3 said:
At a two way, left turners yeild to those who are going straight.
But 99% of the driving population in the US don't know the rules at stop signs so it usually just ends up being a guessing game that results in a honk or an unfriendly hand gesture.

#6 ·
Bud8765 said:
Thats what I thought. But at my school you would wait forever to take left. I guess I have to be really carefull now. Heres another scenario. Say you get to stop sign and make a left hand turn. But the guy across that is going straight doesnt come to a complete stop at stop sign and goes straight and hits you. Its his fault right?
It's supposed to be alternating.

Car traveling straight goes, then the opposing car making the left, then the other side going straight again... you don't have to yield to every car wanting to go straight. You alternate.

In your new scenario... if you stop, and the guy across fails to stop at the sign and hits you when you go... he is at fault.

#8 ·
If you arrive at the stop at the same time, the car turning across the oncoming lane yields to the oncoming car.

if there is a string of cars going each way.
The car turning across oncoming traffic yields to the oncoming car, and then it alternates.

It's not complicated at all.

#9 ·
I know for a fact that at least in AZ, The person making a left is always at fault in a collision. Turn left, dude straight runs a red, he hits you--- you are at fault for failing to make sure that it is safe to turn left.:screwy:

#11 ·
In CT I believe I was taught whoever gets there first has the right of way. If you get there at the same time, the driver going straight has the right of way. If both drivers are going straight then the one on the right goes. It's been a while since I took driver's ed.

#12 ·
#1 the car that gets to the stop sign first, has the right of way (whether the car is turning or not)

#2 if both cars arrive at the same time, the car going straight has the right of way

#3 if there are multiple cars in a line, both sides can go straight at the same time. If a driver wants to turn, he or she must complete the turn after the other car is clear (ie the car going straight has the right of way).

#14 ·
brads03zx3 said:
#1 the car that gets to the stop sign first, has the right of way (whether the car is turning or not)

#2 if both cars arrive at the same time, the car going straight has the right of way

#3 if there are multiple cars in a line, both sides can go straight at the same time. If a driver wants to turn, he or she must complete the turn after the other car is clear (ie the car going straight has the right of way).
I'm going to print this in spanish and start handing them out.:lol::mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.