Ford Focus Forum banner

Focus 2003 suggested tune up?

11K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  GapBoyPCS 
#1 ·
Just wondering when the suggest tune up would take place after how many km on a 2003 focus. 124,000km?? later than that or earlier than that?

Im assuming its plugs, wires, fuel filter that are changed?

Thanks

#3 ·
The phrase "tune up" is a bit misleading these days. Ignition is all electronic, so timing is all in the brains of the computer. It's the parts that go into it that wear out.

Your warranty information should have the information. That being said, here are my tips:

- Plugs should have been at least inspected every 50,000 km. I seem to recall Canadian conditions required 100,000 km replacement intervals. I personally do mine at 50,000 km intervals.

- Plug wires are not addressed. I just do mine every 100,000 km

- Fuel filter do every 50,000 km

- Air filter (I think the interval was 40,000 km. However, I use a drop-in K&N filter and merely clean/re-oil at that interval.)

- PCV valve

- Cabin air filter

- Serpentine belt should have been replaced (along with tensioner)

- Timing belt on the SPI engine at 100,000 km. Zetec is suggested for 200,000 km. Many change the timing belt along with tensioners at much earlier intervals (I push mine to 180,000 km).

- Automatic transmission flush and fill every 45,000 km

- Brake fluid flush every 75,000 km. Brake servicing at about 30,000 km

- The usual oil change and filter

You can stop into any Ford dealer to get their service schedule. Ford always recommends the oil change, oil filter and 10-point inspection every 5,000 km or 3 months. Every 10,000 km, Ford recommends a tire rotation and other small stuff like lubrication and inspection. There are only a few handful of "BIG" service items that are usually terms Maintenance #3 and/or Maintenance #4.

The only one thing to state is to keep up on maintenance and fix problems as soon as they creep up. Don't wait to fix them. At your mileage, your car is still a baby :) Treat her right and she'll treat you right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.