Ford Focus Forum banner

focus sohc to a dohc engine

43K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  Jimmy 
#1 ·
Has any body ever done a sohc to a dohc engine n a focus. I know it has been done but i would like some info on this change. I hear i will have to change a axle, pcm, wiring harness, and possible the motor mounts? .Any info would be great thanks

#4 ·
I had asked this in another forum, no response.
My focus died, a valve crapped out and the head and one piston are shot.
I found a DOHC car, hit in the front, but engine is supposedly good.
Can I do this? Trying to salvage a lot of money put into this car before I go parting it out, and I only have about a day or so more before I have to do that.

#7 ·
he did a zetec in that thread, so yes, its gonna be just as much work. while there are a lot of things that are shared between the 2 motors, there is still ALOT that has to be changed to put in a zetec. ECU, wiring harnesees, engine mounjts, tranny,and various other bits

and honestly it isnt enough of an upgrade to warrant all that work, id just slap a turbo on the SPI, get it tuned, and roll with it, youll be taking any N/A zetec out there. and poss a few F/I zetecs too depepnding on your set-up.

bryan

#8 ·
ladybug04 said:
he did a zetec in that thread, so yes, its gonna be just as much work. while there are a lot of things that are shared between the 2 motors, there is still ALOT that has to be changed to put in a zetec. ECU, wiring harnesees, engine mounjts, tranny,and various other bits

and honestly it isnt enough of an upgrade to warrant all that work, id just slap a turbo on the SPI, get it tuned, and roll with it, youll be taking any N/A zetec out there. and poss a few F/I zetecs too depepnding on your set-up.

bryan
The problem with that is that he ends up with another SPI that'll more than likely drop a valve seat anyways.

I've seen multiple SPI's dropping valve seats over the last year or so, I don't know why but they do and when it happens it pretty much destroys the engine.

No offense to the SPI guys here but if you go the SPI route I'd find a way to get rid of it as soon as possible.

One local guys dad had an SPI that dropped a valve seat so he had it repaired at a machine shop. That head dropped another seat almost right away.

I sold him a reman SPI which lasted a few months and then smoked the bottom end bearings, it was replaced under warranty by a 2nd reman unit that had issues right off the bat so it got a 3rd reman unit put in.

Not real promising if you ask me.

#9 ·
true, it is a good idea to get the head worked on and get the hardened valve seals, thoug i have had my SPI since new, and have 120k on here of Hard miles, and have done anything internally, and she runs like a top.

but my point still stands, the SPI to Zetec swap isnt worth it, if your gonna swap, it should be at least to a Duratec. once i can find a donor, im gonna drop a 2.3 in my SPI focus, and have a suitable starting platform.

bryan

#10 ·
ladybug04 said:
true, it is a good idea to get the head worked on and get the hardened valve seals, thoug i have had my SPI since new, and have 120k on here of Hard miles, and have done anything internally, and she runs like a top.

but my point still stands, the SPI to Zetec swap isnt worth it, if your gonna swap, it should be at least to a Duratec. once i can find a donor, im gonna drop a 2.3 in my SPI focus, and have a suitable starting platform.

bryan
seconded. i'd only go for a Duratec (preferably the 2.3, but i dont even know if i can find a focus with a 2.3 in canada). seems to be super easy to find upgrades for the D tho.

#12 ·
FORDSVTPARTS said:
I'd third the Duratec swap, find a donor car like a rollover or something and go to town.

The only way the Zetec swap makes sense is if the donor car is SUPER cheap.
i almost got my hands on a rolled SVT for the cheaps 2 months ago.
but i found out it rolled AFTER breaking the front axle and an engine mount going off a jump.... =(

#13 ·
I still don't understand why everyone wants to replace a weak engine with more weak engines. Sure, the Zetec and Duratecs both have potential, but if you are going to buy an engine from a wrecked car, why not go bigger/better?

Contour V6 swaps are available, as are V8's. Hell, a tiny local machine shop told me that they'd put any engine in any car.

#19 ·
Well, I pulled the block out yesterday, man, that was fun, no engine hoist. Somebody wants to buy it.
I hate to say it, but this focus is done. It did last 220k, it's actually a shame because a single valve has ended this car's useful life, I just can't commit myself to putting more money and work into it.
If the ZX3 DOHC engine would have been a near direct swap (headers/intake, maybe a few other odds and ends), I'd have done it in a heart beat. I'm not dropping another SOHC engine in this to have it die in six months or a year.

I guess my biggest mistake was thinking my 17 year old would have destroyed the car before it needed a clutch (spring popped), alternator, shift cables. Granted, these parts aren't prohibitively expensive, however, the clutch had to be done by my mechanic since I don't have an engine hoist, the shift cables require a special tool-again the mechanic had to do them. Alternator is no big deal, but I've gotten well beyond the point of no return.

#21 ·
Smacaroni said:
Well, I pulled the block out yesterday, man, that was fun, no engine hoist. Somebody wants to buy it.
I hate to say it, but this focus is done. It did last 220k, it's actually a shame because a single valve has ended this car's useful life, I just can't commit myself to putting more money and work into it.
If the ZX3 DOHC engine would have been a near direct swap (headers/intake, maybe a few other odds and ends), I'd have done it in a heart beat. I'm not dropping another SOHC engine in this to have it die in six months or a year.

I guess my biggest mistake was thinking my 17 year old would have destroyed the car before it needed a clutch (spring popped), alternator, shift cables. Granted, these parts aren't prohibitively expensive, however, the clutch had to be done by my mechanic since I don't have an engine hoist, the shift cables require a special tool-again the mechanic had to do them. Alternator is no big deal, but I've gotten well beyond the point of no return.
I'll give you $300 for the car. :p

#23 ·
FORDSVTPARTS said:
The problem with that is that he ends up with another SPI that'll more than likely drop a valve seat anyways.

I've seen multiple SPI's dropping valve seats over the last year or so, I don't know why but they do and when it happens it pretty much destroys the engine.

No offense to the SPI guys here but if you go the SPI route I'd find a way to get rid of it as soon as possible.

One local guys dad had an SPI that dropped a valve seat so he had it repaired at a machine shop. That head dropped another seat almost right away.

I sold him a reman SPI which lasted a few months and then smoked the bottom end bearings, it was replaced under warranty by a 2nd reman unit that had issues right off the bat so it got a 3rd reman unit put in.

Not real promising if you ask me.
There is a club I started for those of us that have dropped a valve seat. :lol:

#24 ·
ladybug04 said:
nah, if i was going to swap, IMO the only one worth it is to a duratec.
How is an svt swap not worth it?
I'm the one lgSPI was talking about.
I'm going from an auto spi to a 6spd svt.
I'm doing so because my spi crapped out on me.
The swap is coming with every single part I need.
The svt engine is getting rebuilt with JE low comp pistons,
Eagle rods, arp main studs and head studs and also race bearings.
The transmission is coming with torsen limited slip differential,
Clutchmaster stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel.
It will be ready for turbo whenever I am ready to do so.

#25 ·
loudfocus01 said:
How is an svt swap not worth it?
I'm the one lgSPI was talking about.
I'm going from an auto spi to a 6spd svt.
I'm doing so because my spi crapped out on me.
The swap is coming with every single part I need.
The svt engine is getting rebuilt with JE low comp pistons,
Eagle rods, arp main studs and head studs and also race bearings.
The transmission is coming with torsen limited slip differential,
Clutchmaster stage 3 clutch and aluminum flywheel.
It will be ready for turbo whenever I am ready to do so.
Sounds like you've got it all planned out.

:cool:

- Drew

#26 ·
lol thats why i said IMO.

and a direct swap is not worth it, but if ur gonna be building it, then it may be. im just sayin that apples to apples, the strait SPI to SVT swap isnt worth it IMO. i just think if your goin through the trouble, the 2.3 dura is a much better engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.