Ford Focus Forum banner

Clutch master cylinder leaking

15K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  2SVT4U 
#1 ·
The other day I noticed a wet spot on my floor mat drivers side, but the weather has been very dry here for a while. So I looked closer and discovered that fluid from the clutch master cylinder was leaking and running down the clutch pedal, and dropping onto the floor mat.

I have about 83k miles on the car.

So, my question is: What is the repair for this? Is there a rebuild kit for the master cylinder? Or, do we just replace the master cylinder with a new/rebuilt one?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Call steve . Just replace it its about 40 shipped to me in cali. He can give you the best deal...good luck.

#4 ·
Mine is leaking too. If I park the car at an incline, it leaks even more. That is cool to know that it can be replaced for roughly $40. My question is regarding the procedure...is it that hard to do that is better to take it to the dealer? Is there any procedure on how to do it yourself written up somewhere? Thanks!!!

#5 ·
i dont have a write up for it but basically what you do it take off the lower dash panel off
-Remove the two lines connecting to the master cylinder from the engine side of the fire wall
-remove the pedal assembly from under the car
-switch the master cylinders from the pedal assembly and reinstall
-and then reinstall the lines and bleed the system

very general write up but its been a while since i have done it but i hope it helps you a little bit.

#10 ·
Any tricks for removing the two lines on the Firewall side? I see the two block lines with green tips on them. It appears maybe there is a release clip of some type and then they pull off?

I don't understand why they can't make the same as the brake one- push in white clip and it pulls right off

#6 ·
The only real difficulties I found were the physical location, it pretty far up under the dash, and the stupid clutch in to start switch whose bracket is totally in the way.

Oh and of course that switch is not shown in the ford manual. :party:

#9 ·
#11 ·
ya I wish I knew the name of the tool but get a pointed tool that does a 90 degree bend at the end so you can undo the c-clips.

also if you can pre-load the CMC or it will be a LOT of bleeding after.

I just got pissed off and bent the stupid clutch sensor out of the way lol

#13 ·
sorry can't as I didn't do it. took me about 2.5 hours to do it the one time that I have. Prob could do it in about 1.5 hours next time I need to.

other tricks: (that I can remember)

-u-joints are your friends
-there is no good way to reach the CMC, do some stretching before hand.
- if you find a way to get the sensor out of the way without bending let me know lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.