Ford Focus Forum banner

UTI vs Wyotech.

9K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  SOHCTUNER 
#1 ·
I have seen some of the board members talk about going to both, so I have a question for those members.

Is it worth the time and money to attend either of these places? I have been speaking with a recruiter from UTI to attend school in Houston this September. Of course he always has nothing but good things to say about the school. Many searches online always say the same thing, "You get out of it what you put in to it"

I have looked at going to a community college for the education but UTI has special extended courses and job placement opportunities.

I live in Michigan right now, but I want to move out of state at the end of this year.

Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated.

-Corey

#2 ·
I have no info about them but another one to look at is Lincoln Tech

#3 ·
as a graduate of lincoln tech, do not go there.
UTI has a great rep in the field. i personally never met anyone who went to wyotech.

#4 ·
From experience "dealing" with graduates and current students from both, also MMI, I have come to the conclusion that they are equal... The most important part is you. Some students I met that went to trade schools were just beyond stupid(ie someone claiming to grad from MMI once recommended I up the jets in my bike, when I corrected him it was a injected bike, he said that it still had replacable jets). Where ever you go, assuming you are serious, check your ego at the door.

Also, when I was researching MMI the financial aide dude said most students get financial aide, which is in fact not very true and that school is expensive.

#6 ·
i had a friend a while back that went to wyotech for auto body and paint and loved it. only problem he had (even harder now i'm sure) is that it's in a small town and pretty much noone wfrom the school was able to find a job while they were there

#7 ·
chrisp78 said:
as a graduate of lincoln tech, do not go there.
UTI has a great rep in the field. i personally never met anyone who went to wyotech.
yea i also went to linc tech because that was they were the best choice in the NYC area, i would have preferred UTI.

UTI is really just automotive stuff

Linc does all trade stuff, from hvac, nursing aids, to auto. They also have grown by buying out other schools, so each location is not the same, they are hit or miss Some of them can be really nice modern schools (the ones they actually build from scratch) but then other ones are old and run down (they ones they bought out and have not renovated or changed staff at)

If you want to get out of the area you live in you may want to do a trade school thing, and then try and get into an manufacturer training program, VW, AUDI, BMW, Mercedes etc all have one and once you are trained they help you relocate to a job, the catch is you HAVE to be willing to relocate to almost anywhere in the US that has a job.

phxtravis said:
Also, when I was researching MMI the financial aide dude said most students get financial aide, which is in fact not very true and that school is expensive.
A loan at 10% interest for the full amount of schooling who's payments start IMMEDIATELY technically count as "financial aid."

#8 ·
I guess I will go against the grain and suggest a community college. MI, like most states, has several community colleges that have decent/ very good automotive programs.

I am a graduate of a cc over here in GR and I really liked the auto program there. Tons of nice new equipment/ lots of hands on, tons of knowledge between the instructors, and a real challenge/ learning experience. For those that took the info to heart, they would have no issues going right into a full scale auto shop and turning some hours immediately after graduation. And I have an associates degree in addition to my certifications, and that might qualify me for jobs that a certificate alone will not. Plus it covers the first 2 years of college, so many bachelors degree programs are only an additional 2 years, plus the credits transfer all over. Just something to think about.

#9 ·
neither.

you Wont know **** when you enter the workforce anyway so why pay the premium to be a greenhorn?

Ive worked with lots of guys that graduated from one tech program or another, including UTI and Wyotech. The guys that went to the big names are just as green as the guys that went to the community colleges. The difference is the big name grads have 4 times the amount of student loans to pay back. :lol: Quite honestly, the trade school guys are less proficient than the guys who learned in the garage or came up as an apprentice.

The new guys always **** everything up, cant be trusted with much of anything, and get put with a good tech for quite some time before they are allowed to work as a commission mechanic. This means that all the dreams the recruiter filled your head with will have to wait, you'll be making 9 bucks an hour or starving to death trying to survive as a flat rate tech. :lol:

So............ in my opinion, its better to pay as little as possible to enter the field. If you can enter as an apprentice, do it. Otherwise, check out your community colleges. :)

#10 ·
I gradutated from UTI (phoenix campus) 4/08. Then attended the Audi Academy (same campus), which was 4 months long. I moved to Phoenix from Seattle, but grew up in Phoenix. I moved to Indianapolis (work in Bloomington) once I graduated. I have lots of family here as well.

Thats my background, now my thoughts. I always thought that most people that attended UTI were looking to work in dealerships, or independent auto shops. Wyotech students were looking more for customization, one off type work, including fabrication, paint, etc.

It is true that you get work you put in to it at UTI (or any school for that fact). It si expensive. I paid $30K. Im sure its gone up since then. I took straight Automotive 51 weeks. and Ford Fact (Ford Accelerated Credential Training). Ford Fact you earn the same credits that Ford Techs earn when they go to training. Ford was the best part of UTI (not including Audi, which I did not pay for). Even if you dont "like" Fords, the electrical training is worth its weight in gold. I'd say 10-20 percent of all people fail the electrical course. In UTI the only way to fail is to not show up and have to retake the course.

As for the student loans. There are many types. I had half Federal loans, or which have the interest was deferred until graduating, and half started accruing once I borrowed. The other half was a personal loan through Sallie Mae.

I dont think any loans are required to be paid on (the principal) right away, but some do have interest that starts accruing.

The other thing that is good about UTI is the manufacturers programs. As I stated, I was accepted to Audi and now work on both Audi's and VW's (same cars basically). VW does have its own program, but not in Phoenix.

Of the 13 people in my class, 12 were from UTI, (5 from Phoenix campus) and 1 from Wyotech. You dont have to attend UTI to attend a manufacturers programs, but most do pull students from UTI over other schools. Not trying to slam Wyotech, or the others, but I I said I believe earlier UTI is geared more for getting you ready for dealership work, where as Wyotech is more of a customization type school.

Most classes have 30 people in it (max limit). 20 people there are just wasting their money, not paying attention, sleeping, missing class. 5-7 are trying but just to stupid to grasp it. Usually 3-5 (more like 3) that are going to make it and be good techs.

Of my 27 teachers only 2 I didnt care for. One, my auto trans instructer was basically there just collecting a check. His own shop went bankrupt earlier that year and he was not into teaching. My A/C instuctor was ok, but he was like 75 years old and not very interesting to listen to. Made it hard to learn.

The rest were great. Ask them any question you have and they'll spill all their knowledge. All were ex techs, who either got hurt or just didnt want the flat rate grind anymore.

Hope that helps, post any questions you may have. I was looking for this type of info when I was trying to make my decision so I'll answer any question I can.

#11 ·
TXFO,

I agree with some of what you say. You always learn more on the job than at school, but the whole "get a job as an apprentice" doesnt really happen anymore. Auto's are far to complicated to just apprentice with a Master tech cause you are mechanically inclined. Good luck finding a shop thats going to hire you and hope you learn something in a couple years.

"you wont know .... when you enter the work force". Somewhat true, but mostly things like "known problem parts", "TSB's", that sort of thing, which any new employee anywhere is going to have to pick up.

#13 ·
I have friends that went to both UTI and Wyotech. The UTI guys, thought it was a waste of money. The Wyotech guys loved it. I through the Ford program called asset at a school near where I love that was awesome.

#14 ·
well for the community college bit, if you have one near you that is great...
Where i live their are NO community colleges that do automotive, you have to go with one of the tech schools...

Worth noting on the college end, some of the Linc Tech auto schools ARE colleges not tech schools and give you a degree not a certificate. IT depends on the location.

#15 ·
rpvitiello said:
well for the community college bit, if you have one near you that is great...
Where i live their are NO community colleges that do automotive, you have to go with one of the tech schools...

Worth noting on the college end, some of the Linc Tech auto schools ARE colleges not tech schools and give you a degree not a certificate. IT depends on the location.

Thats a good point because if you have a degree from a community college if you ever want to you can go back to school and have a head start plus something to show for yourself.
And if it means anything to you I went to a community college for Ford Asset and now 2 years out I am making $18 an hour.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.