Ford Focus Forum banner

DIY Guide: Changing Spark Plugs

81K views 78 replies 37 participants last post by  Music 
#1 · (Edited)
I've decided to take pics and make easy guides as I upgrade and make changes to my car. The pics were taken with my camera phone so they aren't as sharp as can be. This is the first time changing my spark plugs so if anyone has additional advise please comment and I'll adjust the original post as needed.

Engine: Duratec 2.0L
Difficulty: Easy
Time: < 20 min
Plugs Used: Copper Autolite 104's with .055 gap
Tools: Socket Wrench, 5/8 deep socket (16mm), 5/16 socket (8mm), 3 to 4 inch socket extension, needle nose pliers (used to pull out spark plugs)

Step 1: Clean off engine area to free it from any loose dirt that could fall into the plug holes (I realized I should have done this after I saw some leaves in the way >.>).

Step 2: Using the 5/16 socket remove the screws holding the spark plug boot in place. Also remove the wires that are connected to the boot.

Step 3: Remove the boot by making a twisting motion. Do not rock the boot side to side.

Step 4: Using the 5/8 deep socket and extension loosen the spark plug. Be sure to turn counter-clockwise and do your best to keep the socket steady. At first, use gentle pressure when unscrewing to ensure you don't crack or break the plug (I hear this is bad :thumbdown).

Step 5: Use the needle nose pliers to grab hold of the spark plug and remove from the hole.

Step 6: Use Anti-Seize on the threads and dielectric grease on the boot so you secure the spark plug nicely. Make a scraping motion across the threads as you gently squeeze the Anti-Seize on the threads.

With Anti-Seize applied:

Finally: Place the spark plug back in the hole and tighten using the 5/8 deep socket. Be sure the plug is nice and snug but don't over tighten. Remember, it's not a bolt or a nut, so you don't want to use too much force and risk cracking or breaking the spark plug. Replace the boot and twist it on for a secure fit. Reconnect the wires and screw it back down.

You're Done! :thumbup:

See less See more
#21 ·
Instead of needle nose pliers or a chunk of rubber hose, I just reinsert the rubber boot into the opening and it grabs the plug every time. Cuts down on the items needed for changing the plugs.

#17 ·
With the copper autolites I read that a lot of people change them out every 10k miles. The iridiums are supposed to last 100k but aren't as good as a conductor as copper.

#18 ·
I change my 104's every oil change. They're too cheap not to. I also have a Vato Zone brand plug socket with a rubber insert that has a magnetic cylinder around it so it'll grab the plug somehow no matter what you do. Also, I always get pillow packs of dielectric grease and anti-seize and I use both every single time.

#20 ·
I think it's also worth mentioning to tighten at least the first few turns of the spark plug by hand. I usually hand tighten with just the spark plug socket and extension until I feel the plug bottom out, then use the ratchet to snug them down. This helps me feel if the threads have any dirt or debris on them and also prevents cross threading.

#25 ·
I always use the dielectric grease (on the ceramic and in the boot), but never had a problem with seized plugs. I guess routine changes prevent that.

I try to change my autolite 104's every 10-15k or 2-3 oil changes. The last time i left them in for around 20k and they still looked decent.

edit - good write-up btw. You can never have too many how-to's :thumbup:

#27 ·
back from the dead.

is there a tq spec for them or just "snug"

also when i pulled the packs off, one of my brass fittings had some oxidation on it

(07 2.0 90k)

#28 ·
should be somewhere around 18ft-lbs. if its a brand new plug it takes about 3/4 of a turn after "seated" to make sure the sealing washer is torqued down. however i do feel that 10-15k is far too soon to swap out plugs even if it is a copper plug like an autolite 104. i've checked mine at 10k intervals and they look brand new everytime. flat edges on all surfaces! although the harleys I work on...definitely 10k!!!

#29 · (Edited)
And I use about a 10" piece of vacuum hose to fit over the plug once its broken loose, you push it down over it and then just unscrew it. Put the new plug in the end of the hose and screw it in till its in then pull off the hose and use your socket to finish tightening it down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.