Ford Focus Forum banner

help: steering wheel lock?

5K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  harry72 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Remove the lower plastic steering column cover. Right below the ignition lock you'll see a round disc about the size of a quarter. Take a small screwdriver and pry that disc out (don't worry about damaging it, as it will not go back). When that disc is removed the ignition locking pin will fall right out. Wa-La no more lock.

I had to disable the ignition lock per the SCCA rules and this worked great for me.

#5 ·
success! well after a couple hours ofclose examination and carefully testing I got it done. the entire ignition setup had to be removed and partially disassembled and then removed the return spring under the pin and then secrued it down. def not for the faint of heart. Once I get the Start button in I want and get it redone the way I want it I'll post a write up on it.

#7 ·
hi guys, i know this was a long time ago but does this work on an 03 focus? somehow while replacing my worn out ignition barrel the steering lock has activated and I cant figure out how to release it.
there is a metal plate under the assembly. if i remove it will the steering lock parts fall out and permanently disable it?
cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.