Ford Focus Forum banner

Gear Shift Cable - 2001 ZX3

6K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  labansfocus 
#1 ·
Hey guys i m new and have never used a forum before. lots of questions. sorry if this is intrusive. i joined so maybe i could get some feedback on a problem with my 01 zx3. My gear shift cables keep popping out of the floor, retainer clips came out. They wont stay in the floor, tried wiring them down. no good. this problem is gradually causing my synchros to go out of alignment from missing shifts. What should I do?

#2 ·
Re: new to fj

Welcome to FocalJet and the use of forums.

It's customary that you make a new post about your specific issue unless you wish to contribute to something someone already had posted. Also, you shold avoid cross-posting (posting the same problem in various parts of the forum).

I'll make your post into a new post, and move it to our Shift It section.

#3 ·
I know this sounds like a silly question, but i am trying to help you troubleshoot here.....

Is your shift TOWER broken/ cracked? It's a VERY common problem, which is why i ask.

My shift cables lay flat on the floor, no idea why they would be "popping up" unless they're binding on something.

What are the "retainer clips" you're referring to? Do you have any pics of it? It would help me to visualize what we're talking about here.

#4 ·
The shift tower isn't cracked; just forward of that in between the dash and shifter there's a coupling on the cables themselves that is held onto the floor by a wide plastic base clip. there are two small orange clips that clip down onto the coupling and hold it into this base piece. problem persists even with repair. no idea what to do. sorry no pics (caveman grunt)

#5 ·
i had the same problem but on the other end near the trans.the big plastic piece that holds the cables in place should screw together to tightn and hold the cable in place. i would try screwing them together and wire tie them down. if that doesnt work just buy new cables there 40 bucks from the dealer. they are real pain to do.

#6 ·
I tried doing just that but it seems as if its one of those cases where if it's broken, it's broken. replaced it once and about 1000 mi. down the road it re-occurs, the same problem. is there maybe a performance upgade available or another car i could cross reference to? sort of new to this car so don't know a whole lot about interchangeability. as for the worsening synchros that will probably be an expensive repair later on down the road once it worsens. i don't know maybe it will go away once this shifter issue is fixed. thx for the help man :)

#7 · (Edited)
I'm not familiar (at all) with those clips you're referring to. My Early 2000 ZX3 just has the cables and they "clip" onto the shifter base via use of these odd plastic "couplers" on the cables.
The couplers are "spring-loaded" and they squeeze together, turn them opposite of each other and they loosen enough for you to put the shifter base between them, then release them so they clamp together on the base. I've never seen an orange clip under my center console near the shift cables.

Hopefully MY car is not missing something i should've had LOL
Sorry i couldn't help.

As far as interchangeability......for the most part
1. 00'-early 02' Focus
2. Ford Contour
3. Mercury Cougar
4. Mercury Mystique

Obviously not ALL parts work, but there are metal shift bases that work in the focus....they don't break.......i doubt i COULD break it even if i tried (by shifting)

Not sure about your cable/linkage though.....as I said i am not familiar....

Hope this helps a bit

EDIT- Thanks for correcting my mistake and not helping the OP any.

#8 ·
As far as interchangeability......for the most part
1. 00'-early 02' Focus
2. Ford Contour
3. Mercury Cougar
4. Mercury Mystique (luxury model of the cougar)
That is a typo I hope.

#10 ·
The cables shouldn't be moving. As has been mentioned, there aren't any "clips" to break or lose. They just sort of pop into place. If they are popping out, then it sounds like something is binding, most likely the linkage atop the tranny.
I'm not swearing to it, but I can't see why the cables would move at all, UNLESS some force is being applied in a Non-linear fashion. (ie, something binding).
:)

#11 ·
thx for all the help guys. FZXRAcing nailed it on the head with the discription. whats happenning is that the couplers will not stay put when shifting, popping out of the shift base. i guess i'm gonna need to source a metal shifter base. these plastic reproductions just aren't doin the job. this has been very helpfull.

#12 ·
Really good pic. this is my problem exactly. thanks for the post. you say just fab up somethin to bolt down over ther top? sounds good to me, i need to to be able to shift more suredly. every time i get got to get in gear faster than ole' granny, the main cable pops out of the floor in exactly the same manner as you have it situated for the picture. no broken base though, thats what's really gettin me. they just won't stay put, but i like what you're sayin. bailing wire doesn't hold too good but i think a bracket fabbed from some sheet aluminum or somethin 'll probably do it. thx again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.