Ford Focus Forum banner

can you substitute dextron 3 mercon transmission fluid for mercon 5 transmission??

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  koviebmx330 
#1 ·
can you substitute dextron 3 mercon transmission fluid for mercon 5 transmission fluid without any issues happening to the car?

#2 ·
I suspect your transmission won't explode.... especially if you use a Dex3/Merc5 certified ATF.

However, why would you do that? Care to let us in on a little more info?

Mercon V certified fluid is only like 4 bucks a quart.

#3 ·
ford has a special fluid for the mtx75 p\n xt-m5-qs give them this part number at the dealer because its been my expirence most parts people dont know about it and will tell you to use atf fluid. get two quarts. it makes a significant difference with gear roll over noise, i really cant say i noticed much difference in shift feel as opposed to the mobile 1 atf i used before ford came out with this "ford honey" but its worth changing over to it.

2 qts will run u about 35 beans

#6 ·
ford has a special fluid for the mtx75 p\n xt-m5-qs give them this part number at the dealer because its been my expirence most parts people dont know about it and will tell you to use atf fluid. get two quarts. it makes a significant difference with gear roll over noise, i really cant say i noticed much difference in shift feel as opposed to the mobile 1 atf i used before ford came out with this "ford honey" but its worth changing over to it.

2 qts will run u about 35 beans
Apropos of nothing at all, since the question is about an ATX.... :rolleyes:

But the question remains for the OP. Why use Dex/Merc rather than Mercon V?

Or are you asking the question because you've already done it?

#4 ·
Do you want to kill the transmission slowly? If the answer to that question is ''No'' Then don't substitute it. If your manual says Mercon V use it. Its like putting 5W-30 in an engine that had has had a pure diet of 15-w40 its whole life, you're going to give it a heart attack.

#5 ·
No. Mercon and Dextron are two different types of fluid. Your tranny may not act up for awhile, but it will die a slow death.

#7 ·
Your basic Dex/Merc ATF will boil and foam up if used in place where synthetic Merc V is required. Now you can generally use Merc V where Dex/Merc is required just not the other way around.

#9 ·
oh, the mtx75 comes with syn atf mercon, it was not specified the type of trans. y would you have an atx anyway, a stick is way more fun.
Once again, apropos of absolutely nothing at all.... :rolleyes:

#10 ·
sorry i havent responded in awhile. I havent been on.
I asked the question because im swapping my transmission out because mine died. My uncle had a case of dex/mrc 3 in his garage. I was trying to save some $$.

I know a stick is a hell of a lot more fun beieve me. But this car was a "hand me down" so to speak from my sister who bought a new car and im only 17 and who wouldnt take a free car? Its an automatic so you guys dont need to tell me about the mtx. Im really just trying to get this done, keep the car a few more months and sell it or trade it in for a stick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.