Ford Focus Forum banner

Engine Seize

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  fenderRub 
#1 ·
Hello all, been a real long time since I've visited the site...
Something horrible has happen to me recently and thought I would share my anguish with the jet. :(

Long story short, driving to work yesterday, I loose oil pressure and oil light comes on.. On freeway at this time, pull car to the side, turn car off and pop hood...

Inspection reveals oil cooler hose popped off... :thumbdown
Call tow truck, have them tow it to my house, fix hose, replace oil..
Car turns over and immediately dies... Oh know I'm thinking!!! :confused:

Turns out after trouble shooting, engine is seized..:eek:

Culpret= failed hose clamp and poor reaction time..

#3 ·
Never really thought I would need to do that... But makes since considering.

I should have used different clamps from the beginning... The clamps supplied with fs oil cooler kit are the crimp style, so if anybody gets this kit, please use different clamps...

Expensive lesson learned!:eek:

#5 ·
:lol:

Not ready to put the focus to rest just yet...:p

Another engine on order.

#6 ·
Dude that really sucks. I'm sorry it happened to ya. Is the engine really seized though? Like put a breaker bar on the crank and it won't budge, seized? If you're lucky you might find that it will only take a little machine work and a few new components to get it running again. It would suck to replace the engine out right only to find the fix was a line bore and a set of bearings. I hope it works out for ya.

#10 ·
I tried to turn the crank manually, didn't budge..
Also put it in fifth and tried pushing the car forward, and nothing...

#7 ·
Sorry to hear your troubles. Looking at the modifications listed in your signature it looks like it was a fun car and hopefully you can get it back on the road soon. If you get a new engine also make sure to really flush and clean (or replace) the turbo oil feed and drain lines and flush the center section of the turbo with clean oil in case some debris made it to them when the bearings started getting chewed up in the engine.

#9 ·
Well, seems my mechanic is having a hard time finding a replacement engine for me, so guess I'll have to do some searching my self. I wish I could tackle this job my self, but live in a apartment...:bang:

#11 ·
Sounds like it's low on blinker fluid, that's all ;)

Sorry to hear that man. How long did you drive it after losing oil pressure? I would think there would be a slight grace period, especially if you weren't railing on the car. John ran his car down to about 12.5psi of oil press. before getting off the road and his motor is fine. I guess you had 0, though, not 12. Did you check to see what your oil level was before filling it up?

#13 · (Edited)
Sounds like it's low on blinker fluid, that's all ;)

Sorry to hear that man. How long did you drive it after losing oil pressure? I would think there would be a slight grace period, especially if you weren't railing on the car. John ran his car down to about 12.5psi of oil press. before getting off the road and his motor is fine. I guess you had 0, though, not 12. Did you check to see what your oil level was before filling it up?
Honestly, I don't really know how long I lost oil pressure for before I noticed.. Plus the hose that popped was the oil return line from the oil cooler, so I imagine I probably lost alot of oil really fast..

Luckily for me considering, I have another mode of transportation until I get this resolved..a nice torquey little Suzuki SV650. Really fun to ride, just sucks when it rains!

Steve being the good guy that he is, has been nice enough to find some options for me.. Thanks Steve!

I did call around locally looking for an engine, but unfortunately the SVT being as rare as it is, it is even more rare here in Hawaii..:( I'll more than likely be doing this job my self since my friend volunteered his garage, so I'm just praying I get a good engine when I do, so I don't have to tear it back out again.. That would really suck!

#12 ·
Dude, I'm sooo sorry to hear about that. That really sucks being that you're on the islands, too. Well, nothing about living on the islands sucks, but getting a hold of not-so-common parts must be difficult.

Not sure if you've seen this site before, but this is how I found my SVT engine:

http://www.car-part.com/

They may not list an actual SVT engine, but as blackbird pointed out to me - search for yards that have the Getrag 6sp in stock - there's a better chance they'll have an SVT engine. Just call the yard and make it very clear you are looking for the SVT engine with a "5" in the 8th character of the VIN. Being that shipping won't be anywhere close to reasonable, you'll want to get this right the first time. See if they can give you mileage verification, too. Good luck :thumbup:

#14 · (Edited)
Dude, I'm sooo sorry to hear about that. That really sucks being that you're on the islands, too. Well, nothing about living on the islands sucks, but getting a hold of not-so-common parts must be difficult.

Not sure if you've seen this site before, but this is how I found my SVT engine:

http://www.car-part.com/

They may not list an actual SVT engine, but as blackbird pointed out to me - search for yards that have the Getrag 6sp in stock - there's a better chance they'll have an SVT engine. Just call the yard and make it very clear you are looking for the SVT engine with a "5" in the 8th character of the VIN. Being that shipping won't be anywhere close to reasonable, you'll want to get this right the first time. See if they can give you mileage verification, too. Good luck :thumbup:
They have a couple listed on the site you gave, sent some emails... Thanks a lot!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.