Ford Focus Forum banner

Who wants to be a guinea pig-stat housing?

132K views 211 replies 75 participants last post by  Davidl 
#1 · (Edited)
So I was bashing around a bit and found this, It's a stat housing from an old Contour 2.0.

It's a one piece solid moulded housing with threaded inserts in the top, bottom and front cover.

Looks to be a much more solid piece than the SVT housing and it appears to me that it'll work with a very small amount of effort.

On to the pics, it's the Contour housing on the left and the SVT on the right.

Now the sensor in the pic I'm not sure about as I have no way to tell if it's properly calibrated but it's got the same wiring connector and it's threaded although it will require a threaded bushing adapter to use it in this housing as the hole in the top is much larger than the sensor and I don't have a threaded plug for the bottom hole.

The stat o-ring is the same as on the Focus, I do not have the bolts for the stat cover either but they should be easy enough to find.

For the housing, sensor and the front cover it's $61.00.

So, anyone up for an adventure in test fitting?

EDIT- Here's what currently comes with the updated housing.

See less See more
#5 ·
Update, the contour sensor uses identical resistance to the focus. But why would you need an additional sensor on the t-stat housing? Wouldn't a pipe plug fit in there?

#6 ·
I'm not entirely sure I understand your post.

The SVT sensor is a push in style so it won't work in the threaded housing which is why I was looking at this other sensor.

The lower hole will just require a blanking plug but at least this time it wouldn't be the push in type thats been so fond of leaking.

#8 ·
Interesting. What year Contour is that housing off of? I just bought a new SVT housing for my yellow car so I shouldn't be needing one for a while, but next time I'm at the junk yard I might pull one off an older Contour and take a look. It does look a little beefier and might make a nice option if it can be made to work.

#9 · (Edited)
Thanks for asking that question, it made me do some more looking and I found a better housing.

The second one I found is from a 2000 Contour and has the properly sized hole in the top for the sensor I posted pics of previously.

Here it is compared to the '95 Contour housing I posted before,

It's $44.00 for the housing alone then you'd need the water outlet and sensor plus a plug for the bottom hole.

So for the whole works it's $94.00 plus shipping, that's the housing, outlet, sensor, stat, stat o-ring and outlet bolts.

#13 ·
I'm looking forward to having one less part prone to failure. I was telling Steve he needs to research a cheap but durable clutch master cylinder! I already have the billet DSI lever...I can't think of any other little parts that fail...any other ones that people know of?

#14 ·
There is someone in the FI forum that is using a modified alloy stat-housing.

http://forums.focaljet.com/forced-induction-nitrous/621083-turbocharged-supercharged-zetec-svt.html

Its for a Ford Fiesta RS1800 Zetec. They are going to look into the availability for more units...granted its over the Atlantic, but the price should be better than other metal versions.

If I had a spare 100 sitting around I would call to grab the 2000 stat-housing from you, and the other goodies. Screw in for the win!

#15 ·
#19 ·
Without an engineering number (and maybe even with one) I wouldn't hold my breath.

I can't think of any other older Zetec based DOHC engines that were used in the U.S. market other than the Contour/Mystique/Cougar and those all used plastic housings.

Those metal housings are a Euro part which means that even if they are available over there I can't order them from Ford, I'd have to try to source them overseas and the one contact I had seems to have dropped off the face of the earth.

#20 ·
The forbidden site may be able to get them...otherwise I know there are a few Ford parts distributor sites that will ship here to the US. Just expect to pay.

Id like to have a part # too.

#23 ·
Installed the Contour T-stat housing today!!! Thanks a billion Steve!! I checked my coolant today and realized that I went from maximum coolant level to minimum in *ONE* day! I was leaking like a muthatruckin sieve!

Pics:
old-cracked-as-hell-housing

New hotness installed, no leaks, perfect fit! I used an 1/8" square plug to fill the hole on the bottom :thumbup:

#25 ·
Yeah man, super painless swap. And the nozzles on the Contour housing are easier to slide hoses onto. Anything that makes life easier is appreciated!

#26 ·
Oh man...I want one. Mine was replaced 3 years ago and is still holding up just fine, but $94 plus shipping? That's awesome (and worth buying to have laying around until mine fails)...do you have a bunch in stock?

#27 ·
I'm sure he does. You have to remember...this is for a 2000 Contour. There are plenty on the road and it's a Zetec engine, dime-a-dozen.

#33 ·
No stickers :(

Blue hose goes from PCV valve to my tyte JDM,yo catch can (eBay). Turbo kit going on tomorrow hopefully...

#34 ·
Dab Nab it!!! Add one of these to my SVT power steering line/cam sensor/bolt order please Steve! This is wonderful, you need to make a sticky at the top with a Directory of OEM Ford parts that can be used as a up grade. I LOVE OEM!!!

#36 ·
So are these proven to be stronger than the standard part?

#38 ·
Not as such, there's really no way to test it other than by using one.

We never sold many on the Contour/Mystique though.

The main benefits are the fact that it's a one piece casting and has threaded holes rather than depending on the o-ring and hairpin clip to hold the sensor and plug.

A large majority of the leaks on the SVT is simply the o-rings on the blanking plug and sensor which this fixes instantly.

Just looking at it in comparison to the Focus/SVT version it feels much more solid and substantial.

I WILL be putting one on my car in the spring or sooner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.