Ford Focus Forum banner

Power Door Locks keep locking itself.

20K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Bearns 
#1 ·
Car:
2005, zx3, saleen but that doesn't have anything to do with the issue.

I've had this car since 0 miles, currently has 26xxx miles.

Issue started today, start the car & start driving. Locks will automaticly lock themselves @ random times. Once locked, the locks keep locking and locking and locking and locking and locking and... you get the point, the locks keep clicking countinuously in the locked position.
As an fyi the doors have never automaticly locked themselves ever before during the 26k miles of driving (meaning it's not the auto lock feature on some cars).

where do I start troubleshooting this little demon?

#2 ·
Well, I think that your car is supposed to have an auto-lock feature, and I think it should have been turned on by default at the factory. You might try turning it on (I think this procedure applies to the Duratecs, but check your owners manual): http://www.focusfanatics.com/howtos/autolock/

It might just be stuck in some weird intermediate state and have the autolock cycled to clear. If you don't like the autolock, you could always turn it back off by repeating the procedure.

#3 ·
the owners manual for the car says that the autolock feature is on automatic's only.... so no go with that idea.

#6 ·
I have an ST which is only a 5 speed and my wife has a ZTS 5 speed. My manual says the same thing saying it's for autos only, but it's on both cars. If the door is unlocked at any time and you drive the car it will lock. Use the steps to turn it off if you don't like it. I turned it on. It's a start.

#5 ·
Had an issue like this in a Buick Century wagon I owned a few years ago. It would randomly lock and unlock while driving. It turned one of the lock switches (in my case the passenger one) had a lose wire connector (i.e. the connector was not securely connected to the switch) and would move slightly due to the vibrations. I pushed it back into the switch and that fixed it.

You might look at the following:

1. Both switches
2. Both connectors(the wires maybe loose of rubbing against the metal of the door)
3. Grounds on these connectors

Cheers

#7 ·
checked the autolock feature, it's not that.
Changed battery in FOB and even used my extra FOB, it's not that.
checked both door lock switches, both work.
checked battery, good and strong, alternator also charging battery fully operational.
for the hell of it I even replaced fuse.

it's getting really annoying driving down the street and locks keep clicking and clicking and clicking and clicking and clicking.

one person pm'd me suggesting an aftermarket alarm is the culprit. No alarm installed to the door locks.

anymore suggestions?

#9 ·
Car:
2005, zx3, saleen but that doesn't have anything to do with the issue.

I've had this car since 0 miles, currently has 26xxx miles.

Issue started today, start the car & start driving. Locks will automaticly lock themselves @ random times. Once locked, the locks keep locking and locking and locking and locking and locking and... you get the point, the locks keep clicking countinuously in the locked position.
As an fyi the doors have never automaticly locked themselves ever before during the 26k miles of driving (meaning it's not the auto lock feature on some cars).

where do I start troubleshooting this little demon?
I have the same problem....... but i think that the problem has to do with a black box with many wire connectors on it... this box is behind the glove box and is clipped on to another electronic circuit.... I thought it was the electronic stater that I had installed, but that was not the problem... So I tapped this bleck box with a screw drive and the locks in the car began to click and click and click, so I cam to the conclusion that there must be a bad connection somewhere on this box..... I still have not found the problem as of yet, but I know it got something to do with that box behind the glove box.............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.