Ford Focus Forum banner

Timing Belt Recommendation?

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  XboxHacka 
#1 ·
Just wanted to know what belt y'all would recommend? My timing belt snapped today, so I though if I'm going to do it I should get the best.

#5 ·
Wrong ... unless the SVT belt is made by a different company, which I highly doubt.

I've run Gates for years but recently I did some work for one of the local guys. He'd got a T-belt from Steve and it was not a gates belt. Some yellow writing/numbering and something about being made in Germany. Very beefy belt, far more so than the gates, looked to be more weave to the belt also.
For the money that's the only belt I'd run.

#4 ·
I'll second that. Any time I buy a belt, I ask if there is a Gates available.

The last time I got a new serpentine belt, I was told they had a generic one for $16 or a Gates for $43. I took the Gates. I've spent enough time on the side of the road to know false economy when I see it.

Denny, learns the hard way...

#7 ·
Hmmm. What about Gatorback Timing Belts? I trust the hell out of their serpentine belts so go figure the Timing Belt must be good....I think I'm gonna get one when it's time. 87,000 miles. Maybe I'll change it at 100k.

#9 ·
www.rockauto.com seems to have a crapload of options to choose from. Only confusing thing is, you can choose from multiple pullies to replace. I'm sure it's optional but is it better to replace them as well I wonder? Probably.

#11 ·
Thank Y'all for the replies. I went ahead and got the Gates Racing Belt. It said it was around 3x stronger and I am loving the blue color it has. Also I changed the pulley and tensioner.

Again Thank Y'all for the help :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.