Ford Focus Forum banner

2003 Ford Focus Won't start

36K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  JJMcKinney83 
#1 ·
I posted this on yahoo which was no help

I was driving on the hwy and the car just turned off. I tried to start it again but no luck.

The car cranks but just wont start.

-I reset the fuel pump switch, Didn't work
-Tried to start it with starting fluid but nothing happened so its probably not the fuel pump
-I replaced the spark plugs and wires , there seems to be spark
I've checked the fuses,they're fine. The battery is also fine, so are the cables.
-the cams seem to be turning normally

I'm going to buy ignition coil pack to see if that does it. I'm waiting for them to be back in stock from this place http://www.1aauto.com/1A/IgnitionCo...ping&utm_campaign=gb_api_nobr&utm_content=ECI

They cost 70 bucks at the parts store 35 bucks there

See less See more
#5 ·
Its not the camshaft sensor, that would not cause the engine to die / not start. A bad crankshaft position sensor though could cause the engine not to run.

FYI you can buy or rent a compression testor at most auto parts stores. They are not difficult to use and will probably come with instructions specific to the kit. If not, here is a quick how to: http://www.2carpros.com/dia/how_to_check_compression.htm

#9 ·
I have the same problem with my 2003 SPI i had thought it was the alternator so i replaced it and still cranks and cranks but won't start replaced spark plugs and still no start now ima replace the coil pack and see what happens
Note : The only time it doesnt turn on is when its cold out

#10 ·
#12 ·
#20 ·
Usually in that case, the starter will kick over, and then not enough voltage will be supplied to even turn the starter, and the solenoid will tick-tick-tick.

#23 ·
I would do a compression check at this point. Buy a tester at autozone for about $25. Remove all spark plugs and disconnect coil pack and pull fuel pump fuse. Screw tester into cylinder 1 and crank the engine 5-10 times. write down results and move to next cylinder and so on.

#24 ·
I have been having this exact same problem, Everything has checked out fine, fuel pressure check, compression test check, I have replaced the idler pully (lost barrings) plugs (new ones are gas soaked after trying to start) cam position sensor, I do have spark, the cam is turning in a normal speed, no faster or slower! Replaced fuel filter, thinking about replacing crank sensor, just out of things to check. Sometimes when it turns over it sounds like it wants to start but just can't get there, like its trying to start from the #3 cylinder or something. Any ideas what I should check before replacing the crank sensor?

#25 ·
Timing belt jumped. This entire thread could be jumped timing belt. The trying to start but not quite especially if it hits sporatically but never seems to fully catch and go says it all. Cam and crank sensors can die on the run but not usually, but belts do. If you got spark then most likely not sensors. If starting fluid doesn't even result in a pop like trying to start then not fuel.

If SPI check the water pump, usually the culprit on the run. Drags back on belt as it locks up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.