Ford Focus Forum banner

Ford Focus dies at cold start if not step on gas pedal

33K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  G-forces 
#1 ·
2002 Focus with 2.0L DOHC Zetec engine. At cold start, the engine would start, but the speed would drop and die if not stepping on the gas pedal. If I step on the pedal once and get the engine speed QUITE high, and then let go the pedal, it will run fine then, and I can drive without any other problem. I don't really need to keep it at high speed for any time, and so I don't think it's warming up issue. It always starts and runs fine when warm. I just replaced the idle air control valve yesterday, but that didn't get rid of the problem.

The old IAC valve looks suspicious to me. The whole valve stem is covered with a layer of dust. I would expect a section without dust the the valve stem moves up and down when it works. But then the new IAC valve didn't fix the problem.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

#6 ·
my money is on the IACV (idle air control valve) it is located on the intake mani near the middle. you cant really test it, i ad an idle problem that it would stall whenever the A/C was on, changed it and it fixed it.

not a cheap fix (at least to me) cost me $75 at autozone

#7 ·
He already replaced it.... The only thing I can think of is a Vac leak that seals up when the car gets warmed up as the seals expand from heat.... I would bust out the propane torch and start looking for leaks.

#8 ·
Does this happen all the time when it's cold, or only under certain conditions, like a frosty/foggy/humid morning about 32-36 degrees?

Mine starts on no more than 3 cranks, and immediately settles down to a smooth idle, almost always... except when conditions are as stated above. Then it cranks several times, misses, stumbles, and needs to be blipped once or twice before it will smooth out. I'm thinking in my case, it might be an issue with the MAFs or just the IATs part of it... something to check, anyway.

#16 ·
This happened to me a few years ago. the mass airflow sensor had failed on me. When it finally went, the only way I could get the car going was to literally press the gas pedal. I ended up towing the car to my dealership, and they performed the diagnostics to determine the MAF sensor had died.

#9 ·
Never thought of the MAF sensor, then again I don't see how the MAF would clear up after raising the idle XXXX RPM and then the car runs fine afterwards. It's worth a shot to clean out though,

Try this stuff....

#14 ·
Flooded with fuel? it reminded me that it feels that if I shift to park and shut the engine down right away, I tend to have more problem. If I let it idle for a few seconds and speed come down, it tends not to have problem. But I didn't pay much attention to this. I'll give it a try this weekend and see if there is really such a difference.

While looking around the car yesterday, I noticed that the piece of sponge in the air filter box, which covers the fresh air inlet of PCV system, is soaked with some oil and crumbed. So I throw it away, and replaced with another piece of sponge. So far I haven't had problem during the 2 starts today, one going to work and one leaving work. I'll post what I find out this weekend. Thanks.

#19 ·
Flooded with fuel? it reminded me that it feels that if I shift to park and shut the engine down right away, I tend to have more problem. If I let it idle for a few seconds and speed come down, it tends not to have problem. But I didn't pay much attention to this. I'll give it a try this weekend and see if there is really such a difference.

While looking around the car yesterday, I noticed that the piece of sponge in the air filter box, which covers the fresh air inlet of PCV system, is soaked with some oil and crumbed. So I throw it away, and replaced with another piece of sponge. So far I haven't had problem during the 2 starts today, one going to work and one leaving work. I'll post what I find out this weekend. Thanks.

This. no?

#15 ·
That's the carbon trap, Make sure you replace it with the right parts, a kitchen sponge won't hold up.

A leaking fuel injector might cause a hard start issue by flooding the cylinder, when you shut the car off and the injector is stuck open it will bleed the fuel presure off into the cylinder. This would more than likely cause a CEL though. And if this is happening you can look forward to an engine rebuild from the fuel washing out the cylinders, Hopefuly this isn't the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.