Spec focus racecar - Page 16
Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Rock Auto

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516
    TEAM Member

Default Re: Spec focus racecar

Less eventful next time I hope!

2. Remove Advertisements
    FocalJet.com
    Advertisements

TEAM Member

Well motor seemed fine, we check almost everything, speak to the builder and decide to put the cooler on. Mocul unit with an 10 lines into the oil filter plate. Bad luck prior to loading up the car, should have stayed at home. Trip to track is 4 hours, traffic made it 7. 30 miles out blowout on trailer, 1/2 mile from exit, stupid move, blow out number two tire. Hell I have two spares, wish I had a way to lift a 10k trailer. 2 hour wait in the rain waiting for assistance, finally arrive at track, no power at the paddock. Unload and find power but not enough to run a/c so get a hotel. Oh yeah, two moves of the trailer and forgot to lock down the tool box, dam they make big dents in the trailer. Qualified great sat morning, on the pole. All is good until the race, lost oil pressure lap 3, and lost the motor. My fault for not catching it quick enough. Time to go home, change the spares for the new trailer tires, forgot to chock the trailer so bent the race jack when the trailer started to roll and busted the trailer lift jack. So laugh about this weekend and know you gotta try to beat my bad luck from this event.

I

Ouch

Were you able to determine how oil pressure was lost? Related to the new cooler or something internal?
    Joe

2013 Oxford White ST
    1985 Nimbus Grey Merkur XR4Ti

Have a Focus ST? Check out FJ's partner site, Focus ST Network

5. Remove Advertisements
    FocalJet.com
    Advertisements

TEAM Member

Ok so we have lost to many motors and it seems three builders all got it wrong. I doubt it, each build was done close to the same in terms of ingredients. New oil pump, new crank, new rods, new Pistons all the same. Core blocks all from running assemblies. Every block was punched 20 over. Stock motor which I got the car with is box stock bsd delete as the only mod and a tune. Runs great for 3 race seasons, put back in this year, 4 more races and 3 wins. Not hooked up to my oil temp gauge as the pan for this motor was not drilled. Yes have a windage tray in this unit. Runs great and good oil pressure. Water temp around 210 at pace. So that's the stock unit and the race pieces all had a cooler. Each one got a new cooler to prevent contamination and the first two we had an accusump and each unit had a mocul cooler mounted up front of the radiator connected to the oil plate at the filter with an-10 lines. So the world says oil temp is life, and the last two motors ran 280-320 degrees. Both had coolers. Speaking to one of the guys who goes against the norm and who is my tuner, first the an10 lines are to large, the run to and from the cooler is to long, and the temp while high compared to the normal motor theory is normal on the Duratec. He has way more experience with these and all things focus than most. When we look at what is the only thing different from the stock motor and the last motor which we had one good weekend besides high temp with out a cooler. Checked everything before we loaded up and we put on the cooler. 20 mins of great running and high oil temp and then boom. What does the focus world say.

TEAM Member

Ok the last weekend is coming up. We installed a freshened original motor. Instructions to the machine shop was simple, number two cylinder was down on compression and high on leakdown. Needed new valve seals, new rings, new head gasket and head bolts. That's it, so with one oil leak fixed we have the best motor in, actually the only one that hasn't blowed up. Ran the car for a total of 12 miles around the shop. Good oil pressure and good water temp. I don't know oil temp and don't want to know. So this weekend we do suspension setup, nut and bolt check, review brakes and load up. Fingers crossed for one good weekend, the last for this year.

TEAM Member

Aligned, scaled and almost loaded. Put together the front undertray and went thru all the slightly used tire selection. We have one 45 min race and two 30 min sprints. Each has a qualifier and fri is 1/2 day test to make sure all is functioning properly. Car running around the shop feels like it should and all the gauges are showing good safe readings for a change. Loading up and off on Thursday to the track.

TEAM Member

I just looked and I never updated what happened. Test day went fine, everything ran as it should. Qualifying was terrific for me, put the car in the number two spot with a terrific time only to be bested by a Miata running a split or dual class, STL and ITA. what's allowed in STL is more open than ITA but it's my job to know whats allowed and what's not. Hell its all for a 5$ plaque. Out qualified by 2 sec, he did great and I actually put down a terrific lap also. Race time and the 2.3 out muscles silly miatas, and for 7 laps he chased me. But gotta finish. The engine was my orginal stock motor, a wonderful stock motor just freshend. Backed by the 4:25 final drive gearbox with a 1:1 5 th. VIR is a long track, to long for this box. 5th gear stock bottom end and long back stretch at 7400 rpm just don't work. Boom yep another motor. So winter is almost over and start up is process.

We freshend a stock motor cheap, and are waiting the real motor. Shop in Charlotte building this one with a lot of work done on the head, 20 over, ranger crank, arp, wiesco pistons eagle rods. The best of what we have found before I blow it up) so hope it arrives soon.
    Suspension upgrade include new bushings and spherical bearings in the rear. Front bumper redue with new air intakes for the brakes ducts.

Then I reviewed the STL rules, and my buddy I decided to play in that group. More allowances and the chance to run the majors. The platform is a stalled STU project built by a friend. The biggest difference in this class is 2.0 liter max. But any ford 2.0 liter allowed. So Svt or Duratec, probably going to do Duratec as the knowledge for us is almost there and will transfer over to this one. Oh yeah it's a 2005 zx3 platform. So with this car the goals for the year are just see what we have, just completed a new trans for the car and all new safety equipment. See where we are good verse competion and then mid season take stock of what it needs, what we want, and what we can afford. Allowed brakes, allowed aero, allowed weight relocation as in glass out, lexan in, carbon fiber replacement panels allowed. All for the goal to get to 2580lbs. And get to the runoffs. In a couple of seasons as funds allow.
    Last edited by msperber; Feb 25, 2017 at 1:23 AM.

TEAM Member

Ok so just a few days left before the first weekend on track. A few all nighters and both cars the ITA car and the STL car both came off the alignment rack tonight. Getting one car ready is a pain but two is a ball buster. The STL car required all fluids changed, an alignment, setup for corner weights and the new 5th gear in which is allowed in this class. Tuning in the am with the a/f gauge installed today. This weekend we break in the new motor for ITA motor. Oh just a note to self, if you explode a motor check the radiator. Ask me why, well Sunday night it's three hours later than when you told your wife I would be home, go for a start and leaks all over. Seems that the last explosion was the best, as no less than 4 pieces went into the radiator broke three fins off the fans and when do we discover this, sure after the motor is in. Just another thing to inspect if we have a motor issue. ( holes in the block). Gotta laugh cause what's left.

Well at least it seems you have your humor : )

TEAM Member

Ok update. So new motor needs to be warmed up, break in time. Just drive around parking lot, warm up the motor nothing more than 4K rpm. It's Monday night, I need to get a data log sent to my tuner expert. 10 min in I hear an ugly rattle. DAM, into the shop and a few quick looks and the crank bolt is less than hand tight. Well u know the rest, tapped oh most of the valves on a brand new build. First race of the year 4 days a way. Grab the totally stock head and tues we pull the new built head and put on the stock unit. The Pistons have a lovely mark on them but I am going racing. Motor ran and we were able to get a data log off to the tuner. Test day we had the new STL car and the ITA car for testing. STL all we were trying to do was to base line everything from brakes to power levels, suspension feel and performance. So here is what happens. We ain't prepared to run to cars, it's to much and we didn't have enough help and our prep wasn't enough. Gotta call it what it is, not prepared. The STL car runs smooth, stops straight, pulls thru all the gears, slight grind into third, and will not accelerate past 5500 in 5th. Couple of attempts and a wall. Off track call the tuner expert with a data log. Takes some time to get it back and forth, don't drive this car until we change the tune, stupid lean that's a big wall. So move to the ITA car, first session nothing more than 6 k and all seems ok, gear box shifts great, brakes nice, balance of the car is spot on. All fluids look good, second session 3 laps, oh shoot, dreaded rattle, off, coast into pits, pull plugs, and wow, the number 4 plug is slammed shut. What happened to this. The intake valve broke off a head and it wedged in the piston. Done. Ok play with the STL car. Competion is small car runs well and the tune sent saved the motor. We did well but the competion in this class was small as compared to the ITA class. So one car on the trailer and the other we had some good learning. Thanks to pat who does all the heavy work and Tom who controls all the computer conversation for the tune. That was all last weekend, this week we pulled the second head off, and now I have two heads being repaired and one completely ruined new piston needing replacement. Next race might be missed. Losing my sense of humor but all the help,and friends make it a weekend still worth the effort.

Senior TEAM Member

Glad I could help and you finished well in the end

Tom

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 613141516