Ford Focus Forum banner

white smoke coming from my engine!?!?!?!?

10K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Lancer211 
#1 ·
I do own a ford focus zetec 2000 and I wanted to know how can I go about to fix this problem. I recently noticed a smoke coming from my engine, I opened the hood and I found out it was coming from my valve cover...it was all greasy and oily! I want to know how can I fix this? whats the specific part that I have to replace from this problem? Is it the valve gasket or the valve cover? Can someone guide me how to tackle this? And since my engine seems oily and grease because of that....how can I safely clean the oil spill from my engine? please help me! thanks a great lot

#2 ·
It's possibly the valve cover gasket. They are tricky on the zetec, because of the shape, and seem to leak if not fastened down right.

You'd need to remove replace it really to make sure it's good. Not too expensive.

Clean up the oil from the spark plug wells with kitchen roll. If there is water in the wells as well, don't panic! It's probably condensation.

Once oil is cleaned up, you might want to change the spark plugs as well if they have not been done in a while. Don't buy any special ones - these engines don't need it.

Once you're done, replace the valve cover gasket in the valve cover, and reinstall, tightening from the center out to the ends.

I'd advise you to get a manual...Chiltons or Haynes...saves a lot of headaches.

Let us know how it goes. :thumbup:

#3 ·
you need a valve cover gasket. clean the mating surface very well and put a small dab of RTV in the corners of the half moons.

#5 ·
You don't HAVE to replace the plugs...but while you're there, why not? Cheap enough.

#14 ·
Unlikely.

Go to Ford and get the Motorcraft gasket. The Felpro and other auto parts store gaskets will leak just like a bad stock one.
I've had no problems with the Felpro VC gaskets? Granted, I have a Contour VC, rather than a Focus one.

You have a tach with an ATX? Must be a ZTS, I presume?

#11 ·
thanks for all your help everybody! I finally got to fix the gasket and also changed the spark plugs! I do have another problem with the revolutions of the car....when I am driving and hit the gas, the car seems to jump rpms for some odd reasons....do you have any idea what could be the problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.