Ford Focus Forum banner

Shifter counter weight optimized

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  6spd_RS 
#1 · (Edited)
As a lot of you know there is a counter weight on the trans linkage. A lot of people have removed this for better shifting feel.
I removed mine about a week ago but was disappointed in how it made the tranny feel. It made the shifter much to notchy.
So I'm going to be doing a test hopefully tonight after work. I figure if the counter weight makes the shifter feel to mushy and no counter weight is to notchy in the middle should be juuuust right.

So I took the counter weight and drilled the center of it out where it attaches to the arm to remove it (off the car obviously).
Weighed the slug= 210 grams
Took a 3/8 bolt about 1.5" long and started adding washers till I got to 105 grams.

I'll put it on tonight and see if it is a happy medium.

BTW removing the counter weight can be done fairly easy.

See less See more
#2 ·
I just drilled & tapped the original weight so I can easily put it back on. I think for the most part, it only helps (based on your own personal preference) if you are using a short throw shifter. I found shifts require a bit less effort after removing mine - My wifey also feels it's easier to shift since the weight was removed. I haven't noticed it feeling any more or less "notchy" in operation - the shift feel on the SVT leaves a bit to be desired anyway.

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure that most of the notchy feeling is the shifter bushings anyway, at least that is what Steve has told me before.

I am curious as to the results of your experiment, but a better test would be to compare weights on fresh shifter bushings.

#5 ·
UPDATE:
I put the modded shifter arm on last night. Its great! Like I said in the OP without the weight it was very notchy (but felt lighter in-between gears). With the original weight it felt very heavy and I felt almost out of touch with what was happening with transmission.
The counter weight does an excellent job of helping the trans come out of gear and go into gear. Its a great idea form Ford I just think its a little too much weight or to heavy.

So I strongly recommend this simple mod to your shifter linkage. This along with the white bushing at the base of the shifter has made my cars shifting 100 times better than when I bought it.

#6 ·
so where exactly is that bushing (weight) located??????? can it be took off relatively easy and maybe tapped and drill a good hole through it?? you guys think that may make it lighter???? im just wondering because my svt's got like a ford short throw?? and i dont like it so i ordered one of those new adjustable cfm shifters, would this process work with the cfm adjustable shifter steve??? -by the way nice job on a simple part!!!very nice idea.... (we'll have to call you mcguivar of the svt Racerbox77, haha)

#7 ·
#11 ·
I'm not arguing that they aren't beautifully made. I be happy to have one in my car. I just can't justify $120 for a shift knob, and I imagine there are a lot of others who can't afford such a luxury as well.

#12 ·
Yeah this was a common trick on VW mkIII gti vr6 that made the shift feel soooo effortless itliterally felt like an arcade game it seemed to merely float through the throw...

#13 ·
No, that cable system felt like **** no matter what. :lol: "Whoa wait, I just shifted?" One of the things I truly hated about that car.

#14 ·
To Perkinz24-
The counter weighted arm is located on top of the trans where the shifter linkage is. If you take your intake tube off you can see it very easily. Its only one bolt holding it on. Drilling it out will not get rid of enough weight to make a difference (I tried that first).
It will work with any shifter.
Also when you get the arm off remember to put some grease on the bushing.

#15 ·
heck yeah man. if i have any isues (as im working on my o2 snsr problem , etc.) i may pm ya???? that cool??? -I ordered a aftermarket 6-speed knob to go with the cfm.com's adjustable shifter. I just havent had time to throw it in, but if this killer fix that youve came up with id REALLY LIKE TO DO TO MY RIDE.+ INSTALL THE S.T.S. W/KNOB. and do what some of you guys did with the counter weight and my ride would shift "WAY BETTER" - I ALSO got to install C.A.I. (STEEDA SHORT RAM) ,T.B., EXHAUST, AND MY SYSTEM -LOL. I guess ill find time somewhere to do this......***** but i could never pay over 120 for that knob. Yes its very nice, pretty,etc. Almost like a bbk c.a.i. is to a mustang. There pretty, but i think like a(n) ANDERSON POWER PIPE IS BETTER (for the mustang, not FOCUS!!). I do wish i had a friend whom had one just so i could try it for a night...

#16 ·
sorry guys tht comment is very hard to read, and i appologize for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.