Ford Focus Forum banner

Fuel Pump Replacement

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  Stolle 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 ZX3 that is in need of a new fuel pump. I noticed that a lot of the replacement parts reference a June 2001 build date. My car was built in Oct 2000.

What are my pump options? I hear that the SVT pump is better and that the 04+ pump is good too. Are these a direct replacement? I don't need to support 400 hp, but I'd like to have the most reliable pump available as the car will be driven very hard.

Thanks,

#2 ·
I believe you have to replace the entire tank when you change the style. I can check on that for you though.

Maybe it's just easier to drop the tank as a whole.

#4 ·
Don't need to change the tank. You might need to slightly modify the housing. Supposedly it's pretty simple. Friend of mine has done his b4 and he did another friends svt. Took them maybe 45-60 mins to do. Some people(with no rear interior) have cut the sheet metal over the pump and made a simple access panel so they didn't need to drop the tank. Will be doing mine in the coming months. Steve at Tousley mention a recall replacement(maybe for the 2000 only?) And the 03-04 pump. Both in the $200+ range and need the "housing modified". Also supposedly the Ford GT pump will work as well and is only around $185. Have no idea what the modification entails but according to my friend its pretty easy. Of course he's really good with cars.

#5 · (Edited)
I got mine out and it had a build date of 04 on it so maybe I had the recall done and just don't remember (I am the original owner). I went ahead and ordered the Bosch replacement pump. The pickup sock on my old one had disintegrated and I believe the pump ingested some of the parts. If I don't like the look of it, I might look for that GT pump.

Thanks,

#6 ·
Go to Ford and get the updated pump ... IIRC it's all they sell now. You can't go to a parts store and get the correct pump, all they have is the ****ty old stock housing.

There are 3, I think, plastic tabs at the bottom of the tank that you'll have to cut off. Long utility knife and they cut through pretty easily. Then it's just dropping the pump in and wrestling with that damn green O-ring and big blue nut ... oh how I despise both those things!

Far as I've ever found, the SVT pump is the same as the update pump. Both are somewhere in the mid 180-190 lph range.

You know what your pump looks like so i don't have to post a pic of it, but the new pump will have a spring loaded tophat:

(not actual pump)

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the detailed response.

I got a Bosch unit from Advance Auto, part number 67172. It has the Ford part numbers on it too and the procedure for removing the in-tank plastic clip, again with Ford part number on it, telling me that it is an updated part. It also has the spring top like the one shown above.

(actual pump)

#9 ·
If you cut a hole in the floor can you post a pic please? I'm seeing if I should do this because I have an 01 foci which still has the original pump I'm almost sure. And FordFociSHO, when you say the design of the housing are you talking about the fuel tank?

#11 ·
I have a 2000 4 door SE and mine died on me in the parking lot on new years eve.. However I was lucky enough to have bought the car with an extended warranty on it from carmax.. its covered so they are replacing it.. they mentioned something bout it needed to be dropped and something bout a new pump design. Also found 2 mounts shot on my eng. which is covered too.They ve had the car for a week and I just pay 50 bucks .. and I don't get frozen outside. Mentioned to me about recalls on my car from ford.. which I have to go have them do when I get it back. I m really glad they covered this cuase I didn't want to drop the tank out of my car on a set of jack stands..

#13 ·
I would go to ford and see if they would replace it for free. I had an 01 and there was a recall for them. If you turn left or right to hard with less than a quarter tank of gas then it was part of the recall.

Got mine replaced for free.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

#15 · (Edited)
I had an 01 and there was a recall for them. If you turn left or right to hard with less than a quarter tank of gas then it was part of the recall.
Just for the record, the fuel pump replacement program 3N01 actually wasn't a recall since it's not safety related. It was a 10 year, unlimited mileage owner satisfaction program that Ford intiated on their own to help keep their customers happy. There's a big difference between a recall (which is always safety or emission related) and an owner satisfaction program. Also, with recalls its a matter of coming in and having the work done no matter what, whereas with most owner satisfaction programs the repairs are only performed (at no charge!) if the specific symptoms are present.

#17 ·
guys!!!!

dropping the tank is NOT that bad. the big thing you DIY'ers gotta do is GET THE CAR JACKED UP AS HIGH AS YOU CAN!!! start with your normal jack and get it up on reg 2-3ton stands. and get some 4+ ton stands and a jack with a lift range within those stands height. boom. easy. tank is held on by the hoses and as for mounting its just one 15mm or 13mm bolt for the tank straps.

i only cut a hole in my red beast because its return fuel style now with dual 255 in tanks and doesnt clear the floor now with the increased height from the AN fittings.

#18 ·
You're right it's not, but the hole cutting sure stops issues with broken fittings and leaking hoses. I pulled tanks on both mine and if you do not pay ultimate attention to hose and attachment you can easily break things and why so many do. Flipside? Cutting hole can really mess things up if you are a butcher and many went to that school as well.

#19 ·
pay attention? i did mine drunk and never broke nothing on any focus tank ive touched. and i live in wisconsin with salty winters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.